Moderator Control Panel ]

Back into Salt Fly fishing-Coming Down Mid October

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Back into Salt Fly fishing-Coming Down Mid October

Postby Bunkerbuster » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:05 pm

...God willing, and, IF if there is a way to get to Buxton that is.

I've been out of the sport for quite awhile now - like ten years (due to work and my Mother's onset of Alzheimers) No fun.

After years of surf fishing the OBX from Oregon Inlet to Portsmouth Island with dead meat and plugs...I purchased a 9 weight fly rod and a System II reel.
Was really getting into reading up on saltwater flies and technique...my first few attempts were failures due to winds in the face, couldn't find a decent location to try my casting and double haul....

Anyway...looks like my work place will let me off for a week mid October - and if the rental house is still standing in Buxton - and there is a way to get across that new inlet, I was looking for suggestions of what to use and where to try it out...

Re: Back into Salt Fly fishing-Coming Down Mid October

Postby Bunkerbuster » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:34 pm

Wow...over 30 views, and no comment...?

Postby bhorsley » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:58 am

most people fish further south in October. I have not been in the area in October in 17 years. As for local fly fisherman you can still put all of them in VW Bug.
Should be some bluefish in the surf and maybe some speckled trout
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Emerson » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:04 am

I use(70's-90's) to fish Buxton each fall, 2 times!, but as Brian mentioned, we now go to Cape Lookout area. I fish Frisco each summer but have no idea what changes are there due to the storm. There are numerous places that the storm might have changed in the area. As Brian said, the number of fly fishermen in the area is small....even in the summer on small boats in the sounds, other than me and my friend(on my boat), I do not remember seeing other people fly fishing in a long time.

Frank and Fran's is one site for info but you can see they are talking about lots of clean-up:
http://www.hatteras-island.com/

another great place is Frisco Rod and Gun: these guys as well are all talking about the clean-up

http://fishingreport.friscorodandgun.com/

The same places you use to get fish 10 years ago might not be there now. The area has changed due to storms a ton over the last 10 years but the largest changes are the numerous beach closures. You cannot fish at the point in Buxton or the inlet at Hatteras....which were the 2 best places, in my opinion on the island. As you know, the ocean from Oregon Inlet down to Buxton comes in hard and is tough casting on a good day! The best user friendly area for fly fishing is from Buxton south or west as you look at it. But again, lots of the great places have been taken away by beach closures.

One area that might??? be good for fly fishing is the pole road spur below the ferry at Hatteras on the sound side. I have no idea if you can get there after this storm. It was good in July. Another good fly-fishing area was behind Kinakeet Life saving station north of Avon down to Buxton on the sound side. There is a trough about 8 miles long that has been good but again...things change drastically from a storm of this magnitude.

I have no idea when 'tourists' can go back on the island and when the road will be repaired.
Hope this helps.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby Bunkerbuster » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:20 am

Thanks Guys.

Appears the breach at Mirlo is filled...maybe they'll get that bridge in place so we can all come down and spend money.

Cape Lookout eh............. someday I'll have to try that one.
I've only gone as far south as Portsmouth Island...(did week on that island before I got married...back when there were no cell phones).

Postby JHasty » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:15 am

>>> With the way Oregon Inlet has reopened you might wanna spend a lil time there, before jogg'n South another 50miles...

Postby Bunkerbuster » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:44 am

You mean like around Bodie....?

Postby JHasty » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:13 pm

>>> Understand the projection is Non-Resident traffic on Hatteras Island as early as Sat. :D
>>> As for Bodie, thats hit/miss, there is alot of water around Oregon Inlet, both sides...

Postby Bunkerbuster » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:32 pm

JHasty wrote:>>> Understand the projection is Non-Resident traffic on Hatteras Island as early as Sat. :D
>>> As for Bodie, thats hit/miss, there is alot of water around Oregon Inlet, both sides...

Hit or miss, yep.
Well, you know what they say...even a bad day fishing, beats a good day at work.

Just being down there will be a pleasure...as long as the weather cooperates.
It has been a long time since I've even wet a line.

Last trip was Laguna Madre....sight casting for reds.
Almost 7 years ago.

Return to The Rookie Room