Moderator Control Panel ]

Hello from ct.

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Hello from ct.

Postby Jbob » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:06 pm

Hello. Just wanted to say hi. I have been fishing long island sound for many years with light tackle and just this year finally picked up a fly rod. I'm sorry I didn't do it sooner! I haven't caught the numbers that I usually do this year. Could be that I'm doing something wrong or it could be that we just aren't getting as many fish in the sound as we used to. Or maybe a little of both. Nonetheless I've been having a ball and have learned quite a bit this year. I used to try and save all my vacation days for the fall bass/bluefish blitzes along the beaches here but the last few seasons we aren't getting the big runs of baitfish that we used to. Adult bunker (and peanuts ) have been scarce to non existent for the last 4 5 years. I got the Albie bug something terrible last year and made my first ever trip to cape lookout. I gotta say, I'm going to try to make it down for a few days Every year from now on ! You guys are spoiled! Anyways, I like the site. Lots of good info here. I promise to keep my incendiary opinions about fisheries management to myself. And cant wait to come down and hang into a few fat alberts!
Hopefully I can get a couple on the fly rod this year.

Re: Hello from ct.

Postby kendalloz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:18 pm

Welcome! And let us know if/when you are at Harkers as maybe was can meet you to say hello. :D

Postby Jbob » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:30 pm

Thanks! I've been saving up my vacation days and by earky Nov. I should have enough time saved up to hopefully stay for a couple extra days and do some shore fishing on my own. Would like to take that ferry over to the island and explore the place a bit. I never spent a lot of time fishing for Albies until last year. The shore fishing spots up here were always too crowded for me (before I knew what I was missing!) and the striper fishing was always so good that I never messed with it. Until I caught one...
jbobalbie.jpg

Last year I was fortunate to be at one of the Rhode Island breachways on one of those days where the fish were just chewing. Up here its very hit or miss and a day like that just dosent happen every season.After that I was hooked. I decided that I had to come see this Harkers Island for myself. My only complaint is its a 12 hour drive from my house! :D I lived down in Houston Tx for 11 years so I did quite a bit of fishing on the upper Texas coast while I was down there so Im no stranger to trout ,reds , flounder , jacks , sharks,spanish etc . You guys have all that plus all the stuff that we get. There certainly wasnt any shortage of baitfish while I was down on my visit either! Yep.If you cant tell I like to fish a little bit! Im just sorry I didnt pick up a flyrod until this year. Its all fresh and new to me and Ive really been enjoying learning all this new stuff. This seems like a good spot to pick up some info about the area as well as get some input on this new (to me anyways) aspect of fishing. Thanks again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby Emerson » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:46 am

Sounds good that you found this site. Just ask any questions you want and I am certain a few people will chime in!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby bhorsley » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:43 pm

Glad you found the site. And welcome aboard. Keep in touch on what's going on up there. Lots of good info from great people and is only one grumpy guy---me. So ignore me :D
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Return to The Rookie Room