Moderator Control Panel ]

Leaders

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Leaders

Postby wgmiller » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:32 am

On to the next in my series of OBX tackle questions: leaders. In reading Brian's article, a 7 to 9 foot leader coupled with an intermediate line will do the trick for most backwater fishing. Here's one from BPS that looks like it would do the trick: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... LL_PRODUCT

On my freshwater trout rods, I use furled leaders and absolutely love them. I just tie the tippet on and they are great for turning over delicate flies. Does anyone use a furled leader for saltwater fishing? Clearly using Clousers and other saltwater flies won't require the presentation of freshwater dry flies. I love the concept of tying on tippet and fishing away, although changing tippet size for saltwater probably doesn't occur as much as freshwater trout fishing does.

Re: Leaders

Postby Emerson » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:26 pm

This is from Brian:
people just use 6 feet of straight 20 pound mono--it will work but a tapered leader will cast better--to me here is simple formula a version of Lefty's 6'of 40#; 2' of 30#; 1.5'of 20#; We are Rio pro staff so we use Rio lines and i really feel they are some of the best and VERY progressive. ...

The problem with furled leaders is that they are not that strong..maybe 12 lbs or so...

If you use this formula..just use a double or a triple surgeon's knot to put some more 20 on when you need to....very easy! If you need to go skinnier...just put 16, 12 or even 10..no need to go smaller!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby wgmiller » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:05 pm

I just thought about what you posted and that sure is a lot easier than buying knotless leaders. A spool of mono isn't that expensive and it would probably last a 'seasonal angler' like me for years! Pretty simple though; string those sections of mono together, make a loop and voila!

A question I have with knotted leaders is do the added knots create weak points? I was always under the impression that the more knots in a system, the more potential for failure at those points. With the 'formula' you showed and the fishing I'll be doing, I'm sure that pound mono is fine, but there could be instances where knotted leaders are 'undergunned'.

Postby BlueHeron » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:11 pm

I'll wait for the expert to chime in - but I figure that strength loss with good knot's in the heavier pieces doesn't matter - still stronger than the class tippet. If strength is critical I put biminis in both ends of the class tippet. I have been taught to tie up a few and test them with a scale to be sure my knots are reliable.
Dave
the bus came by and I got on
that's when it all began

Postby Cutter » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:56 am

A blood knot is not a 100% knot, but most of us are fishing for relatively small fish with relatively heavy leader. I fish 12# here in the upper Chesapeake and rarely catch a fish over 4# in the summer. Offshore and Spring spawn fish are a different story.

Tie your leaders and pull them ON THE ROD. You will be amazed what 10# of pressure on a flyrod feels like. You may not even get there on less than a 10 wt.

For the lawyers: Caution - use eye protection and careful not to break the rod!
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby kendalloz » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:13 pm

I split the difference between a "real" 7 to 9 foot leader and the 20-pound mono deal. I tie a butt of 2 to 3 feet of 30 or 40 pound mono then add 2-3 feet of 20. That works for almost everything in the bay from silver drum to black drum. In the fall if chasing specks in clear water we sometimes drop the tippet to 12 pounds.

Return to The Rookie Room