Moderator Control Panel ]

Going 'barbless'

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Going 'barbless'

Postby wgmiller » Thu May 28, 2009 9:38 pm

My apologies for flooding the board with questions, but one thing that I practice is C & R fishing with 'barbless' hooks. In my case, I usually smash down the barb on the hook with a Leatherman tool so that it is nothing more than a bump. I have found that releasing fish using these hooks is a breeze and most times I don't even need to use a hemostat/hook remover. This also results in some lost fish as it thrashes about and invariably 'tosses' the hook. This is acceptable to me to effect an easy release. I'm typically dealing with freshwater trout which have relatively soft tissue, so I feel all warm and fuzzy when the hook falls out and I don't have to wrench the it out. :)

What are the thoughts on going barbless for salt fishing?

Re: Going 'barbless'

Postby kendalloz » Fri May 29, 2009 12:41 pm

Go barless in the salt as well. As you said releasing fish is much easier with no barb. And you can also get them out of fingers easily if an accident happens.

Postby meatstick » Fri May 29, 2009 5:59 pm

What Kendall said, plus even the good big game type "fly" hooks have only a "micro barb", and not the massive harpoon
type barb you see on many stainless SW hooks. I would venture to assume that most of the SW "fly" people on this
board have been barbless for a long while. It has spared me
a visit by Dr. Crowbar at least once.

Sorry, we all love Cutter... and BTW, he's quite good. "The" man to have around, especially if you need plumbing work.

And be careful with those fillet knives.

Postby Cutter » Fri May 29, 2009 9:48 pm

Thanks, I think. :shock:

I agree with no barb, Filing off is better than mashing down, but either will do.
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby wgmiller » Sat May 30, 2009 7:15 pm

Just found this topic in the "General" section: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=155

Postby Junebug » Sun May 31, 2009 11:53 pm

diamondg wrote:I just learned another reason to go barbless. Last night as I was leaving my office/tying room I stepped on a stepped on a hook and buried it in the bottom of my foot. Was very glad it was barbless when my wife was yanking it out.

:o OUCH! Which says something for debarbing the hook as soon as possible when you begin tying up a bunch of flies! Hooks do end up on the floor sometimes.

Which raises a question: why don't the suppliers of our saltwater fly hooks make them barbless to start with? :?:

Postby Emerson » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:48 am

John Martyn and I were speaking about the same thing. He told me this.....as he asked the hook company or supplier!

If they make them all barbless...the hooks get all tangled up. The sharp points easily go into the eyes and make a huge mess....like a huge hook chain. The machines and or counters get messed up with the huge tangles of hooks...cannot control the 100 count etc. So.....we get barbed hooks!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby tgacga » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:09 am

I always mash the barb in the vice first thing when I tie...I was glad I do this when I stuck one in the back of my hand the other day.

Postby woody » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:14 am

I mash the barb before tying so if I screw up a hook I at least have not wasted time. I have found that barbless hooks do not work well for flounder but alas, I am not usually targeting flounder.
Any thoughts on barbless for sharks
Woody

It is certain that an atom of goodness on the path of faith is never lost.
Rumi

Postby Emerson » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:50 am

Don't need to..you just break your leader..

If you get a small dogfish...no problem grab it..

You go out with Brian on the boat and get a 60 lb spinner or balck tip...no one is getting that close to the teeth!!!!!!!!!

Ya just grab the leader and break it off!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Next

Return to The Rookie Room