Moderator Control Panel ]

Wading gear

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Wading gear

Postby wgmiller » Thu May 28, 2009 5:48 pm

In advance of my August trip, I'm trying to procure basic gear to fly fish the OBX. That being said, I was at BPS a while back and picked up a pair of "flats boots" on sale. Here is the product: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults Would these boots coupled with a pair of shorts (swimming or otherwise) be sufficient for wading areas such as Prop Slough, Bodie Island, etc.? In reading Brian's article, there are some basics regarding wading safety that I've taken heed on such as shuffling the feet, etc.

I also bought these boots "true to size", so using any type of wader is out of the question at this point.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Re: Wading gear

Postby Emerson » Thu May 28, 2009 8:13 pm

Some sort of flats boots or even a pair of old sneakers are all you need..oh yea...a quick dry pair of shorts and a shirt..long sleeve for the sun and a hat. I made a small pack that has extra tippet, flies, maybe an extra leader and forceps and a nipper. The forceps help with blue fish or a needle fish. The pack I had was an old fanny pack that I just put around my neck and one arm...and have it kept in back of me for casting.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby wgmiller » Thu May 28, 2009 9:25 pm

That sounds great. I know that the pack I'm laying out will be very basic and won't require nearly the amount of 'stuff' I carry in my trout pack.

With regards to forceps, would regular hemostats work or is something a bit heavier like needle nose pliers required? I'm not planning on landing JAWS or anything, but don't want to be outgunned with plain old hemostats.

Postby Emerson » Fri May 29, 2009 7:19 am

Usually, I do not need them but.....if a blue has your clouser way down the throat..just any hemostats will do... I have usually been too lazy and just push the hook with my finger. Once the blue chomped the second I put my finger in there. It would not let go..about a 2 lb fish. I had to squeeze it real hard to persuade it to let go..next day my finger was real fat!

Trout have a set of major fangs that will do some damage as well. Typically where you are fishing, the fish will not be in the 8 lbs or over category...they could but not likely. You should be fine with just average hemostats. Needle nose pliers work well also but are a bigger pain to have with you while wading. The hemostats came be clamped onto your shirt..needle nose need another method!

On a boat..needle nose or some type of plier as used!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby ecks » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:46 pm

You might consider a boga-grip for toothy critters.

Postby woody » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:53 am

I use pliers
hemostats just do not get the job done if the hook (barbless) is stuck in bone
Woody

It is certain that an atom of goodness on the path of faith is never lost.
Rumi

Postby 9ft4wt » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:47 pm

It has never been a big problem in the sound, but from my days of wading the Chesapeake Bay, I have taken to wearing long legged fly fishng pants -- yu know the one's that have the zipper to convert to shorts.

The bay is full of jelly fish and after having been stung a few times I started wearing the long pants. Light weight and they dry very quickly. Now I just wear them whenever I wade.

I also bought one of those cheap freshwater fishing creels. it carries the boga, a box or two of flies, tippet material and bottle of water and a few other things. It is reachable and even has holes in to let water drain.

9ft4wt

Postby woody » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:59 pm

many jellies in the sound right now
good suggestion for long pants
Woody

It is certain that an atom of goodness on the path of faith is never lost.
Rumi

Postby wgmiller » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:01 pm

Thanks for the tips on wading gear. I don't think anything would ruin a trip more than a leg full of jellyfish stings and/or a run-in with a stingray! :shock:

Postby billfish » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:51 pm

HI guys...I wanted my first post here to be a helpful one instead of asking for info.so here ya go....I'm an avid wader soundside ,and although I call myself a "minimalist" by nature, there are just gonna be times when you're out there,a mile from your gear,and wished you had brought (fill in the blank).I frequently lurk on some Texas/Gulf Coast sites, and those guys are hardcore when it comes to wadin' for trout.Most of these guys were "wading belts".The advantages are HUGE. First,they provide great back support.Several hours of huntin' flats can wear on old backs,as I'm sure some yuo guys can attest to!Storage of gear without loading down shirtpockets is another "plus"....sleeeves,pockets,d-rings and bungee type clips are a plus,and the rod holders are great for a spare and just to "free-up" your hands while re-tying or stringing a fish.Also ,I use the floating net and stringer,attached to the belt,and just drag them along behind.ONE model...the "Wadeaid" is even a floatation device and could be of value when one "floats his hat" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .That the one I have.Some websites are:WaidAid.com,Fishnhunt.com,Hookset.com.........Hope this helps someone to be a better equipped wader.
OK.....now,I'd like to ask a favor of the more experienced guys.I mostly fish from Salvo,northward(North Hatteras)backside......can anybody hook a brutha up (via email or pm,if you like)with some maps or arial shots of productive areas).I viewed one awhile back,of the Blossie's Creek/O.I.area,but,have never fished back there.Do you just walk the dirt path at the lighthouse to the dock down there or is it a better place to enter? Any info at all appreciated and I'll definately reciprocate.I'll be down next on the 22-28th of June.Any of you guys wanna hook up and wade,gimme a holler.......Bill
"Be the fish."

Next

Return to The Rookie Room