Moderator Control Panel ]

Rigging for Amberjack and Mahi Mahi?

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Rigging for Amberjack and Mahi Mahi?

Postby bpiwarzyk » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:16 am

Good morning folks, new member here.
Growing up, I used to vacation with my family down in Salvo, NC for years, but haven't been back in many years. In the meantime, I recently took up Saltwater FF, and here in New Jersey, I've been targeting mostly stripers and blues. I have the opportunity to head down to NC twice this year, I'm heading to Topsail Island in May, and back to Salvo in the fall. I can't wait!
Anyway, my question is this... Some friends have set up a couple of conventional wreck fishing trips for the Topsail trip, but while I'm out there, I want to try and catch an Amberjack, and Mahi Mahi on the fly. My main question is how to set up my reels. I have a Nautilus NV 10/11, and an old Penn International 2.5g. Both have 30 lb backing on them, and I have various lines from 8-10 wt I use here in the NJ surf. Basically, I'm wondering if the 30 lb backing will be good enough for fighting an Amberjack, or if I have to load a spool with gelspun. I figure I need to use a 12 wt. intermediate or sinking line, but other than that, I'm at a loss for how to set up my rigs. I've found plenty of info about flies, etc. on the internet, but nothing much about setting up lines. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Re: Rigging for Amberjack and Mahi Mahi?

Postby bhorsley » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:01 am

AJ fishing we use two rigs

A 12 wt with 600 grain sink tip like the Rio Leviathan for dredging big Half and Half's. The other you need some one with a spinning rod and a big hookless popper to tease up the AJs and the fly angler throw a big banger or other big popper. I have aught numerous AJs on 10 wts but the 12 wt is much better pull them and keeping them form getting back to the wrecks. Be careful when using the Leviathan lines they have a 60 pound core so if you use more than 25 pound tippet you can break your backing. I use 50 pound gel spun on everything but it is not game breaker.

Your 10 wt is perfect for most mahi--floaters and crease flies will work but an intermediate line and a chartreuse and white clouser will work even better.

good luck and let us know how it turns out
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby bpiwarzyk » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:22 am

Thanks for the information, definitely appreciated! Sounds like I can use a lot of the same flys I already use for stripers up here too, which is great, save me some time on the vise. One more quick thing- should I be adding any additional weight (like lead or tungten, or something) to my H&H's to get them deep faster, or do you just rely on the weight of the line to drag the flies down deep? Fishing from the surf here, I don't really have to worry about that, since I'm really not casting to water more than 10-20 feet deep, for the most part, just wondering if it's different when you're offshore on a boat.

Thanks!

Brian

Postby Emerson » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:20 pm

We have had much more success with heavily weighted flies...huge iBalz as dumbbells work really well. I have tried the no weight and using a sinking line...did not work very well
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby flyinby » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:29 pm

Emerson wrote:We have had much more success with heavily weighted flies...huge iBalz as dumbbells work really well. I have tried the no weight and using a sinking line...did not work very well

Similar success here. Only AJ's I've caught were with some sort of heavy-eyed fly. Must like the jigging action.....

Postby Emerson » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:01 pm

Jigging is the best method by a landslide
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Return to The Rookie Room