Moderator Control Panel ]

Fly line gear - OBX "back water" fishing

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Fly line gear - OBX "back water" fishing

Postby wgmiller » Thu May 28, 2009 5:20 pm

I'll be visiting the OBX in late August and am making my first attempt at fly fishing the back waters (Prop Slough, Bodie Island, etc.). I have an 8 wt. rod that I'll be stringing up for this venture and am seeking some input on line/tips. I've read the article by Brian regarding fly selection, etc., and found the whole article to be incredibly invaluable. I will read it again many times before August without a doubt.

I have a question regarding line and I understand that an "intermediate" line is recommended for surf fishing and the back water fishing. I will be fishing saltwater once per year on my annual vacation trip and would like to avoid stringing up my rod with different lines and/or buying spare spools. I will be doing more 'warmwater' fishing here in PA for bass and other species and a floating line would work best for that to cast poppers, spiders and other topwater flies.

Okay, cutting to the chase, what are the thoughts on this Orvis product for my annual OBX fishing trip: http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoic ... at_id=6011 What I find attractive about this is the ability to effortlessly add-on the sink tip system when needed to get down to the fish. This would allow my rod to primarily be strung with a WF floating line for most of the year and would allow addition of a sinking tip on an "as needed" basis.

Thoughts?
Last edited by wgmiller on Thu May 28, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Fly line gear - OBX "back water" fishing

Postby mb82 » Thu May 28, 2009 5:34 pm

It works but "hinges" really bad and all in all makes even the best rods feel like junk. IMHO get an intermediate line, you will find once you have one you will use it also for your bass fishing when you need to get down a bit. I about refuse to sell one of those kits to customers. Oh and they sink fairly quickly, a lot more then an intermediate line will, more like a slower sinking sinking line.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby wgmiller » Thu May 28, 2009 5:37 pm

Thanks for the prompt feedback! I can see how that 'tip' would create a "hinge effect" with a floating line. I believe the sinking tip for an eight weight t has a Class III and IV sinking rate, so it's getting down there pretty fast while the rest of the line is floating. Sometimes products sound good in theory, but don't really work that well in the real world. This may just be one of those products. Thankfully through message forums like this, newbies like me can receive feedback on products before spending money on them!

Postby mb82 » Thu May 28, 2009 5:44 pm

Hey it is no problem. I have one of those kits for my 4 wt thinking hey this will be great for those times I need a sinktip, was warned by an older( much older) co-worker said I knew what I was doing and found out the hard way.
Jeff G

Postby wgmiller » Thu May 28, 2009 6:18 pm

I found this in the "Spring OBX" thread and it says it all:

"Line
The most useful type of fly line for fishing the waters behind the Outer Banks is the intermediate fly line. This line is the most effective for wading anglers. Intermediate fly lines are the slowest sinking lines and come in most sizes. Most of the waters fly anglers fish is between 2 and 5 feet deep. An intermediate fly line and a 7- to 9-foot leader will let you get the fly down into the strike zone. The slow sink rate allows anglers to count down and fish different parts of the water column. If stripped quickly, an intermediate fly line is fine for popper fishing."

I'm trying not to suffer "paralysis from analysis"! :D

Postby mb82 » Thu May 28, 2009 7:25 pm

Yep keep it simple, an intermediate will work in my experience( what little that counts for) 99% of the time down there wading. Wait for HH65cdr, he is giving a talk on wade fishing down there tonight hopefully he will be able to chime in on some of his experiences. I wish I could make it so I can gleen some more knowledge off of the people who live down there as to what is best to do.
Jeff G

Postby toddkfly » Thu May 28, 2009 8:20 pm

Check out the Rio Saltwater line. I have a WF8F/I that I love and it works for the warmwater stuff as well. Front 9 or so feet are a clear intermediate that only sink an inch and a half to 2" per second. The rest of the line is a floater. Very versatile line. Highly recommend it especially for multipurpose use.

Postby wgmiller » Thu May 28, 2009 9:23 pm

Thanks for the tips. There are soooo many lines out there in soooo many different price ranges that it can be confusing. At times I think the consumer actually has too many choices to choose from and manufacturers flood the market with "gimmick" products!

Postby toddkfly » Fri May 29, 2009 9:30 am

WG,

FYI Rio is marketing the line I mentioned now as ther redfish line. Same specs. I use this in Mobjack for specks, reds and stripers in water 4-5' or less. Caught a few bonefish on it last year down in Turks when fish were off the super skinny flats. Even used it shad fishing this year in the james as well. There are a ton of choices for sure so good luck. Look forward to hearing how your trip turns out.

Postby 9ft4wt » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:05 pm

An intermediate line is probably the best choice, but if you are only going to be using it once a year, a floating line will work fine, specially in the sound. Go with a 9 foot leader or even a 10 to 12 foot leader tapered to about 3x and weighted flies. It will get down where the fish are. I used a floating line in the sound several times and always got fish.

The saltwater vs freshwater line may be an issue. Saltwater lines are designed to throw bigger flies a little easier than most freshwater lines. and I think there is some sort of difference in the bouancy. I am not knowlegable enough to answer that. I suspect however, that a freshwater line would work once or twice a year. Just wash it off well after the trip and clean it.

If you get in to saltwater and start doing more of it, then you can invest in the lines designed for that purpose.

9ft4wt

Next

Return to The Rookie Room