Moderator Control Panel ]

Christmas Fly Line Wish List

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Christmas Fly Line Wish List

Postby Fallriverdrift » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:48 pm

What are the top five fly lines (in terms of type and grain weight) that should be recommended for fishing for the following species in NC based upon Sage XP 890 rod.
Santa want's to know ;) :
False albacore:
Red Drum:
Speckeled Trout:
Striped Bass:

BTW: I know that skill is definitely involved. I noticed that when I was fishing for albies on the east side of Cape Lookout, 10% of the people were catching 90% of the fish.

Thanks!
DH

Re: Christmas Fly Line Wish List

Postby toddkfly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:53 pm

All fish can be caught using any of these on an 8 weight: Intermediate, Rio Outbound or Striper etc..., Floater = Rio Clouser (I like the Tropical) and then a 250-300grain sinker, SA Streamer express, Rio Striper DC26'. My 2 pennies worth but feel these work for me on my Xi2 890.

Postby bhorsley » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:25 am

My personal line for albies is a floater---Rio Clouser is my favorite. Intermediate lines i love the Rio Tropical Outbound. This line fishes well until the water gets under 65 degrees then the Rio Striper Intermediate works well.

The reds on the East side take a bigger rod due to they are bigger fish and are almost always deep. But shallow water reds the Rio Redfish line works very well. I use an intermediate line for specks--the Outbound will work very well or the Tropical Intermediate and the Striper Intermediate in cold water. If you are fishing the CL Rock Jetty a 250 to 300 grain sink tip works the best. This late Fall i have been using the Striper DC 250 grain on my 5 wt---perfect
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Fallriverdrift » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:36 pm

So here's what I am hearing:

Big Red Drum & Big Stripers: Rio Striper DC26 450g for 10/11 weight rods for deep water fish.

Shallow water red drum & stripers, false albacore: Rio Clouser Floating & Rio Striper Intermediate 8/9 wt lines.

Specks/Puppy Drum: Rio Outbound Floating and Intermediate 6/7 weight lines.

All purpose: Rio Striper DC26 200 - 350g lines for days when you need to get a little deeper with a 6, 7, 8, or 9 weight rod.

One more question: Do you recommend tropical lines to fish in NC from say May through October?

Thanks for your help!

DH

Postby bhorsley » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:40 pm

yes on the tropical i use them from May to late November. Bump up the sink tip for big reds to a 500 grain--
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby lwflyrod » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:53 am

Will somebody immortalize this thread for future reference. :)

Good Reference

Better yet, I need to write this down!
Lee W
"Teach a kid to fish and give the gift of a lifetime of memories."

Postby toddkfly » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:50 pm

The tropical lines shoot like rockets. I have been playing with a Tropical Outbound short on a short 7'11"" 9wt. at it is a bute.

Postby Jbob » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:34 pm

I'm new to fly fishing. This is my first season. I live really close to the water and get out at least a couple of times a week, sometimes daily at peak times in spring and fall. I started out with two lines this yr. A rio striper line(intermediate) and the rio saltwater floating line. The striper line shoots very well and is holding up nicely. The floater after less than one season is cracked and now tangles on every other cast. Considering what I paid for it, Not Acceptable. I'm going to try and send it back to company. Don't know if they will replace or not. Seems like it should have lasted longer. Recently I bought an airflo 40 plus fly line for my 8 weight. I gotta say that line casts awesome! Being a beginner it's nice having the extra heavy head. The difference is VERY noticeable. I will be buying airflow lines from now on. Just my two cents. Have a good weekend!

Postby bhorsley » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:51 pm

send it back to Rio they will make it good or let me know. If you like a heavy head the Clouser line is what you want from Rio. Glad you liked the airflow --someone gave me a intermediate and it was absolutely the worse line i have very thrown--after a couple of fishing sessions i cut it up and used it for tying up my tomatoes.

Just goes to show you what i like you might not -so use recommendations but get what you like and works for you
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Jbob » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:41 pm

Thanks for the tip. I will send back to them. Maybe I just got a bad one or something. Funny that you didn't like the airflo lines and like the rios and I seem to have had the exact opposite experience . Guess that's why we are fortunate to have lots of options for different lines. glad you guys survived the storm and also glad to hear the albies are around. Long island sound is still really messed up we had bait and fish along the beaches all week before the storm hit. I haven't been able to get out yet to see what the storm did for our fishing . Hopefully we will have a decent fall season this year.

Return to The Rookie Room