Moderator Control Panel ]

Okuma SLV 7/8 wt reel

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Okuma SLV 7/8 wt reel

Postby HanoverYakker » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:01 pm

Found a good deal on these and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with one.

Re: Okuma SLV 7/8 wt reel

Postby bhorsley » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:25 pm

The ones i have been around did not work out so well---we buried two on at the AR285 several years back. Dissimilar metals rust very quickly---will work but you must maintain them
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby HanoverYakker » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:21 pm

Thanks for the reply and the info. I looked into them a bit further and found out they were cast molds, so that was not a favorable attribute I was looking for. Their Helios version is milled aluminum but comes in at $180.

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:08 pm

I have the Okuma Vashon on my 4wt and love it if that helps any. Its a "mid arbor" design.
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Postby Emerson » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:25 am

The problem is when you put them in saltwater....major corrosion and freeze up..not the first time..by the 2nd or 3rd

freshwater..no problem
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby Biff » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:15 am

Try Allen fly fishing, I have a couple of reels of his and have sold about a dozen it seems to friends and clubbers. The Alpha series is my current one, and he has a newer salt series coming soon. Mickey, Jim, and several who tried mine at meetings have liked them a lot. Drag is smooth, easy start, and wide range. I think there isn't a better deal out there, and his 75 buck reels feel like 200 stuff.
You can never take a picture of a thing, you can only take a picture of the light on a thing - "the way that light attaches to a girl"

Postby HanoverYakker » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:46 am

Sounds promising - thanks.

Postby lwflyrod » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:46 pm

Biff wrote:Try Allen fly fishing, I have a couple of reels of his and have sold about a dozen it seems to friends and clubbers. The Alpha series is my current one, and he has a newer salt series coming soon. Mickey, Jim, and several who tried mine at meetings have liked them a lot. Drag is smooth, easy start, and wide range. I think there isn't a better deal out there, and his 75 buck reels feel like 200 stuff.

I've seen his stuff on the web, actually have gotten some hooks from him for freshwater streamers, was wondering if anybody had any experience with his reels.
I wasnt sure if I should take the leap on a "Cheaper Reel" but sounds like might be worth a try

Hmmm.
Lee W
"Teach a kid to fish and give the gift of a lifetime of memories."

Return to The Rookie Room