Moderator Control Panel ]

Going Knots!

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Going Knots!

Postby BionicSenior » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:25 pm

:)

What are your favorite knots for 1. Tying the fly to tippit/shock tippit and 2. Tying the tippit/shock tippit to the tapered leader?
:D~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<'(((((><

Re: Going Knots!

Postby meatstick » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:16 pm

Bionic, because you used the word "shock" I assume we are talking only saltwater ... however, a shocker can be used for pike, etc. For this thread, I am speaking SW only.

Fly to tippet ... non-slip loop knot, or uni-knot. I would only use a clinch or improved clinch if someone held a pistol to my head. Even on 80 lb shock tippet, a 3 turn uni-knot will get it done. Pull it tight !! A 2 turn non-slip loop will let the fly swing.

Shock tippet to "class leader" ... depends on the size of the shocker and class leader. For heavy shocker I am somewhat old-school ... bimini twist in the end of the class leader and use a "Huffnagle" to attach to the shocker.

For a lighter shocker (60 lb on down to 40 lb) I would use a slim beauty or X-Knot. http://www.saltwaterexperience.com/Knot_Library.htm

For a light shocker, say 25 lb fluoro ... a double-surgeons.

Wet all knots with saliva prior to seating them. I put the hook in a D-ring and pull on the line with both hands.

Practice them all until they become 2nd nature. All should learn the bimini twist ... it will make your class leader connections stronger when seeking big-game.

That being said: In Baja I used a 6 ft (total) leader of fluoro ...3 ft of 40 lb, 3 ft of 20 lb... on my "tuna" sinking line. Attached with a double surgeons. Fly attached with a 3 turn uni-knot. No issues what-so-ever, and I pulled hard.

Similar for albies at Harkers.

To paraphrase "Kumiski" : Strive to "embrace simplicity".

Postby BionicSenior » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:41 am

Thanks John for such a comprehensive answer. Sorry, I meant salt water and should have said that. I have been used to using a blood knot for leader to tippit connections but they fail enough for me to wonder about a better alternative. Maybe the problem is the knot tyer. I recently saw that Sarah was tying flies on with what looked like a uni-knot. And her tippit connections were straight and pretty solid but I did not ask her what the knot was (too busy keeping myself upright).
:D~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<'(((((><

Postby Flyvet » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:06 am

Tippet to hook: Pitzen knot. This knot is very easy to adapt to using a forcep to tie. I use forceps every day in surgery so I use a forcep every chance I get.
http://206.210.94.83/collaterals/pdf/fh ... twenty.pdf
For heavier flies and tippets where I need a loop knot I use a Non-slip Mono Loop
If it is a big 80 lb. bite tippet I use the Homer Rhode knot.

Class tippet to bite tippet: big bite tippets like 80 lb. I use Bimini in class tied to bite with a Slim Beauty. For small bite tippets I use an Improved Blood knot which just means to double the class tippet before tying.

Return to The Rookie Room