Moderator Control Panel ]

Harkers/Cape Lookout Questions

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Harkers/Cape Lookout Questions

Postby lwflyrod » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:09 am

New set of Questions.
We have a Day or so on HI before our FG trip. We have some options to do.
Would like to get some input as to where to fish so we can plan a bit.

Should we take ferry and fish from beach? if so which and where is the best Time/place to be?
Of course the best time is when the fish are biting
Should we pay extra and take kayaks or just walk and fish from beach?
Do you reccomend Waders?
Should we kayak around HI and fish salt flats/salt ponds at flood tide? (whats biting there? Reds maybe :)
We havent caught Reds on fly yet.
Is there somewhere else we should look at maybe putting in with the yaks.

If there is some input and you dont want to post you can PM me, We are stalking the board quite frequently this week prior to our Departure Friday.

Thanks to all on the Board for your help and all those we met at TIESFEST that Conviced us to Go to Harkers. We are looking forward to an Adventure.
Lee W
"Teach a kid to fish and give the gift of a lifetime of memories."

Re: Harkers/Cape Lookout Questions

Postby SemperFly » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:50 pm

Kayak - 1st time visit and during October - don't recommend you do it. There are typically lots of boats, the weather can be unpredictable, and the water can be challenging in 19 ft boat let alone a kayak. :cry:

Ferries - I'd catch a ferry to the point and wade fish. HI Fishing Center and Calico Jack's both run ferries and will drop you off on the hook. Most of the ferries have set times with either 2 or 3 launches a day (morning , noon, and afternoon). I recommend you contact them the day before and see what time their first ferry will run and make a day of it.

Time of Day: The fish aren't predictable enough to say time or tide. As long as the water is moving, there will be active fish. If the water stops as the tide changes, take a break, eat your lunch or just hang out in the folding chair you brought. :idea:

Waders - definitely! There may still be some jellies in the area, but you will want them to keep you warm and comfortable, if the weather turns snotty. (winds rain, mist, etc.) Recommend breathables, but neoprenes will work well, but they be down right hot on a warm day. :oops:

Species - plenty of opportunity for Blues, Flounder, Red Drum, Spanish Mackerel, Speckled trout, and albies from the tip of the hook down the outside towards the rock jetty. :D :D The shore has changed significantly with lots of new sloughs and holes along this stretch of the island.

Recommend you spend a day or two as your rehearsal for your charter with FlyGirl. Practise your casting forehand and backhand - This will be necessary depending on the wind, your position in the boat and where the fish show-up. Practise clearing your line and putting the fish on the reel. Test your equipment and get comfortable with your rod's backbone and your reel's drag. Lastly review your equipment - too much? too little? what do you need but don't have? What do you have, but don't need? Sunglasses, foulweather gear, sunscreen, hat, camera, pliers,etc.

- have a great time and enjoy the Cape!!

SemperFly
Last edited by SemperFly on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby lwflyrod » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:21 pm

Thanks, Kinda what info I was looking for.
Got the ferry schedules today.
kayaks - kinda feel like we should stay around the flats/island area maybe see if we could find some reds or something else.
Folding chair Hmmm didnt think of that :oops:
however I being old boy scout leader and coastie, seem to have too much always being prepared/ready, semper paratus you know.
So a good shake down would be in order there.

Thanks
Lee W

Postby SemperFly » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:35 pm

Be sure to check out SOBX "primer to sippers" in the Cape Lookout section . I believe his tactics and tips may be useful to you and Bradley next week. With the weather remaining unseasonably warm and calm, will the bait the Albies and others are feeding on change that drastically in 1 week? :? :?:

Having looked at your poor man's fly box (good looking flies by the way)....If you have the time, you may want to tie up some smaller flies, such as the one SOBX pictured. :) FlyGirl had me throwing similiar size flies yesterday for about half of the day ;)

Postby lwflyrod » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:38 pm

SemperFly wrote:Be sure to check out SOBX "primer to sippers" in the Cape Lookout section . I believe his tactics and tips may be useful to you and Bradley next week. With the weather remaining unseasonably warm and calm, will the bait the Albies and others are feeding on change that drastically in 1 week? :? :?:

Having looked at your poor man's fly box (good looking flies by the way)....If you have the time, you may want to tie up some smaller flies, such as the one SOBX pictured. :) FlyGirl had me throwing similiar size flies yesterday for about half of the day ;)

Yes, saw his post, Brad and I were discussing that tonight. Bench will be going. But It'll be all me tying all his stuff is home. HE NEEDS to focus on classes for the NEXT couple of days, till we leave ;)
Lee W

Postby toddkfly » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:23 am

Lee,

One option to consider that would be very kayak friendly would be to fish behind Shackelford banks or over in the Haystacks(prefer). Very good trout and redfishing back in those grassy areas and the kayak would be perfect. I know it is not the speed of the albies, but the fishing can be as good. When it blows, I tend to go back into these areas and more often than not, turns out being a great day. Best launch point would probably be in Beaufort as it is right in the middle of both spots. Would not recommend kayaks in the inlet, way to much multidirectional current. I'll dig through some of my maps and see if I can email them over to you. Also, last of the incoming and the first part of the ebb seem to be primo. Of course my 1910LT drafts a bit more thna your yak so I need the water back in there ;)

Postby bhorsley » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:35 pm

sippers are deep water creatures--usually 50' and deeper
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Return to The Rookie Room