Moderator Control Panel ]

The right place

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

The right place

Postby jasonclimer » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:52 am

So after doing some research I have found a few places to try wetting a line and what flies are the best, thanks Brian for your thread Spring and the OBX, but I am still a little confused on the areas to target. It sounds like I should wade out till I have reached deep water and cast out into deeper water and strip, but I have also heard that one should wade out on sand bars and sight fish or cast to the depressions in the sand bar. O yea can you fly fish in the surf??? Any info is definitely appreciated thanks so much Jason!

Re: The right place

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:18 pm

You can definitely fly fish from the surf!! It is one of the most exciting ways to fly fish in my opinion. What I do is just wade out where I see a hole and cast into the area of the hole and strip back. I used clousers in the surf last year and caught croaker, blues, menhaden, and sea mullet. Be sure you are using a sinking line of some sort while in the surf so you get the fly down before the wave can grab it. I use an intermediate line in the surf and it seems to work well but my dad was using a sink tip line and did well also.

hope this helps

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Postby BionicSenior » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:30 am

I will try again this year but the wind direction and speed is such a huge factor. Not so much on casting but on keeping the fly in the hole as I strip it back. Its a lot of work and more so when the beach is full of people. Early morning or evening is best if the tides are right, it seems. My problem lately is getting up early! :o

Postby hh65cdr » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:33 am

Here is a good site to see what the surf is doing. A good west / southwest wind lays the waves down nice to surffish. ... eport/397/
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby wgmiller » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:35 pm

Go to the Oregon Inlet Fishing Center. Find the big propeller. Enter the water. Walk out a ways until it's up to your waist. Cast lots of line. Move laterally. Cast and cast and you may or may not get into some fish.

I tried fishing near Bodie last year and got ate up by the "No-see-ums". Right through my shirt! :evil:

Return to The Rookie Room