Moderator Control Panel ]

Fly Line question

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Fly Line question

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:08 pm

hey guys

Im headin out fishin on saturday and my 8wt sinking line is off at the shop. I have a 10wt intermediate line and i was wondering if it would hurt anything if i threw this line on my 8wt this weekend.

Thanks
Bradley
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Re: Fly Line question

Postby toddkfly » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:45 pm

Should be ok. No matter what, go fishing.

For the rod building geeks, check this out. http://www.common-cents.info/ Will help explain why one 8 weight rod casts and acts differently than another 8 weight. Companies like North Fork Composites (Gary Loomis's new gig) as well as others are using this system for rating the rods action vs. vague -fast, medium mod-fast etc... Originally the system was derived for looking at differences betwen fly rods again looking for a better way to accurately state what a rod can do. Pretty cool stuff for sure. I started using this on the rods I build and it has been a help in identifying what a rod can handle in terms of line wt. Here is a data site that shows what some have found in terms of a specific factory rod's performance. http://www.superbob.org/CC_Data.htm Take a second and see if any rods on this list are in your quiver and then look at the ERN. See where that matches with the stated rod's weight. Cool stuff.

Postby bhorsley » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:56 pm

yes go fishing--you rod will be slower and it will load much deeper with less line out.
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:31 pm

Thanks guys. my dad and I are hittin up Lake Frederick near Winchester on Saturday with the kayaks. According to the people there the Largemouths are on their beds and they've been catching them up to 6 pounds. Im pumped......if only I didnt have to go back on Sunday to BC for exams next week......
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Postby meatstick » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:20 pm

Todd, that's excellent info. The "common sense" way is far more accurate.

A good test prior to buying a line, too.

And weigh the lines also ... no telling what going on with them.
Last edited by meatstick on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby mb82 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:28 pm

Todd good info. Might have to print all that off and give it to the guys at the shop.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby bhorsley » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:16 pm

if you look at the Rio website and the specs on the lines they tell you what each line weights---easy as pie
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby toddkfly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:48 am

The CSS is a lot to wrap your head around. Jeff, there is an interesting section on the Orvis tip/mid flex ratings and how they came up with that and if it a true representation of things. This one piece 7'11" rod I am building right now came rated as an 8. I tested it out and it is more in lines with a 9-10. I have some critters on the target list for this thing and can't wait to cast it.

Postby mb82 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:36 am

toddkfly wrote:The CSS is a lot to wrap your head around. Jeff, there is an interesting section on the Orvis tip/mid flex ratings and how they came up with that and if it a true representation of things. This one piece 7'11" rod I am building right now came rated as an 8. I tested it out and it is more in lines with a 9-10. I have some critters on the target list for this thing and can't wait to cast it.

Hmm going to have to look for that. I have been told it is a mathematical algorithm we came up with to give the flex numbers. But the problem with it is each rod has a different base setting so a T-3 908-4 with a flex rating of 9.0 actually flexes differently then say a TLSPM 908-4 with a flex rating of 9.0.

Yeah talk about manufacturers who put a line weight on a rod that does not match, TFO CRXI( or whatever it is) 7ft 6in 8wt dad has is more like a 6wt.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby toddkfly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:14 pm

You kind of hit the nail on the head Jeff, study basically calls out Orvis saying the rating they came up with is BS. Cleaned 2.5" of pollen out of the boat this am. Downing the Claritin now. Lot of very small bait in and around the docks.

Next

Return to The Rookie Room