Moderator Control Panel ]

Bimini Twist to.....?

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Bimini Twist to.....?

Postby buckeyeflyguy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:23 pm

Forgive me if this has been covered a million times, but I was wondering about the connection between backing and fly line for salt. If I am right you put a bimini twist with a loop large enough to go over the arbor in the backing. I assume this allows for loop to loop connections with the fly line and allows for changing out fly lines more quickly.

My question is, how do I/should I put the loop in the butt section of the fly line for connection to the backing. In addition, how do I/should I put a loop on the leader end of the fly line for quick connection of leader/leader materials?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jeff

Re: Bimini Twist to.....?

Postby toddkfly » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:54 pm

The bimini is the way to go on the backing. Whip a loop in the butt of the fly line and pliobond it. Do the same on the front of the line. For your leader, you can tie a perfection loop and just loop to loop everything. My tarpon leaders usually have a 60 lb butt section, roughly 5-6', then 40lb section 3-4', then class tippet 12-20lb w/bimini in one end of that. 12" shock in the front, usually 40-80lb flouro. Knot I love for the class to the shock is the slim beauty. Easy to tie in a boat while fishing and is super strong. Did not have one failure last year tarpon fishing. Not sure if this helps but kind of gives you the idea. I would think the offshore stuff may allow for a shorter overall leader but for the poons, 10-15' is more the norm.

To form the loop in the fly line, you can use 2 nail knots to secure it in place or whip with some fine mono. With the pliobond, she'll hold.

Postby bhorsley » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:21 pm

also if you buy Rio lines they already have welded loops in them--never had one fail
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby kendalloz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:26 pm

Also have never had a Rio loop fail and have pulled on them really hard. So in the backing a Bimini will do but be sure to put on leather gloves and test it to make sure it is OK. hard to explain, but better yet is to double the line with a surgeons after the Bimini so you have a double line pulling on the fly line loop ( a single line of braid can cut). However, Since braid is so strong I know folks who just use a surgeons in the backing and it is still stronger than the leader system so works well and is simple. Also, a surgeons glued with Locktite 406 (not available in stores must order on line) is as strong as a Bimini. The Locktite 406 is a special very thin super glue that wicks through all the fibers and locks it all down. It must be stored in the frig. If you have time and are a little excessive (I do this) you can make a splice out of the braided backing with braided mono and it is total 100 percent. It is stronger and smoother through the guides than a Bimini. In most cases it is not really needed but is fun to do if you want to try. I did not invent it. There might be some instructions on the dan blanton forum but if not send me a PM and I can tell you how to make one.

Return to The Rookie Room