Moderator Control Panel ]

casting question

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

casting question

Postby 9ft4wt » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:52 am

I know it is hard to figure out what is going wrong with a cast without actually watching the caster in action. And i know i am going to need to get a few lessons, to solve my troubles, but in the meantime maybe someone has some thoughts:

At the end of a long cast -- for me anyway -- of say 70 feet, my line sort of dies. The last 10 feet or so and the leader will just sort of pile up but the rest of the line is pretty straight.

Any thoughts?

9ft4wt

Re: casting question

Postby bhorsley » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:05 am

first try a different leader--then try holding on the line a touch longer after you stop the forward motion of your rod. The longer you hold the bend in the rod the more power in the stroke. ?????????????????
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby hh65cdr » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:33 am

Same problem happens to me when I am on my kayak. I have noticed that I tend to drop my rod tip below the 2 o'clock. If I dont go past 2 it does not seem to happen.
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby superflyguy71 » Tue May 05, 2009 1:55 pm

Your casting arch (how far you bring the rod back and how far you bring the rod forward) size is relavent to the amount of line that you are trying to cast. At a certain point you cannot generate enough rod and line speed to make the cast work. To generate more line speed you can double haul. If you are doing it from a kayak then you should change your back cast. By this I mean act like you are trying to throw your line not only back but also up. By doing so, as the line drops (thanks to gravity) and extends by the time it straightens out behind you it should be parallel with the earth. (Whatever the line is doing in front of you it is doing the opposite behind you.) So if the last 5 or 10 feet of the line is losing its energy in front of you then it is probably not traveling parallel with earth on back cast.
If this doesnt help I am moving down to frisco in couple weeks and would be glad to help!

Postby bhorsley » Tue May 05, 2009 2:02 pm

Dan has a good cast he is just trying to tweak it a touch

You want your foward and back cast (stroke) on the same plane.
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby mb82 » Tue May 05, 2009 2:11 pm

What HH65 said happens to be the problem I tend to have. Or stupid random trees behind me catching my back cast. I would listen to Brian I think he is walking down the right path.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby 9ft4wt » Wed May 06, 2009 8:18 am

Brian:

I am pretty sure my problem is that I have developed some kind of a flaw in my stroke when I am trying to make a longer cast. Didn’t use to be much of a problem but it is getting more consistent lately. Still, I am willing to try practicing with a different leader to see if that makes a difference.

Most times I use an Orvis bonefish 10-pound to 16-pound leader with a 0.27 diameter butt. Generally I go with 7 ½ feet but may add tippet or go with a 9 footer if I feel conditions warrant it.

If the leader is the culprit, I am guessing I might want to try something with a stiffer butt material like maxima and go back to tying my own leaders.

What do you suggest?

Thanks

9ft4wt

Postby bhorsley » Wed May 06, 2009 9:11 am

really hard to try and diagnose casting problems over the Internet.
I use Rio Saltwater leaders and they turnover well.

remember to throw farther do not throw harder just speed your stroke up --most people try and power through the cast and not let the rod work for you. Also as the cast almost reaches the end pinch your line just a hair --like thumbing a spool on a bait caster--some times this will straighten the line out.
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby 9ft4wt » Wed May 06, 2009 9:25 am

Thanks, Brian. i will try a different leader but i really think i am headed for a tune-up lesson.

9ft4wt

Postby toddkfly » Fri May 08, 2009 10:33 am

I have been moving towards Lefty's way of using your body more than your arms and it has helped me cast better especially keeping a constant plane with the line. Seems to me fewer potential moving parts and it relieves the strain in my right wrist which is key for me right now. I think there is a youtube video out there with Lefty giving a demo on this. I am an average caster and this has helped me quite a bit.

Return to The Rookie Room