Moderator Control Panel ]

Setup for Offshore Fly Fishing

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Setup for Offshore Fly Fishing

Postby buckeyeflyguy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:31 pm

I'm coming down to the OBX in June. I'm heading out on an offshore charter. The guy taking us out doesn't have fly tackle but encouraged me to bring along my fly rod in case I want to fish it. Well, of course I want to fish it, but I don't know exactly how to rig it up. I've got a G. Loomis GL3 9' 10wt rod and a ULA Tioga reel that I'll be using. I've got an extra spool as well that I can rig up.

Can you help me with rigging, line, backing, etc. I'd imagine we'll be fishing for whatever is biting; dolphin, jack, tuna?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Re: Setup for Offshore Fly Fishing

Postby WVUFINSNFLIES » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:44 pm

I would choose no less than 300yds. of 30lb dacron backing (i.e. dacron is a personal preference relative to spectra), connected to the line using a loop-to-loop via bimini twist and loop in the taper (fly line) and a sinking line that has a fast sink rate (greater than 4ips) that can launch a fat, heavy fly relatively fast. I would choose bright baitfish patterns, greens, pinks, oranges, whites, yellows in a mixture of color variations containing the above. Size patterns from 4's to 2/0s. Short leaders (3-6ft),with heavy shock tippets (40-80lbs) connected by a 10turn nailknot (so it will go through guides swiftly) and covered with either softtex or Loon UV Knot Sense. I would use homer rhodes loop knots to connect flies. Generally speaking, a 10wt will handle the fish you have mentioned, normally a heavier line weight would be used.

I wish you the best of luck!

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:53 pm

check out the baja and casa vieja(guatemala) threads in the Central America section. They have some good info there.
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Postby bhorsley » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:08 pm

dolphin is probably going to be your best bet. Intermediate line with chartreuse and white clousers about 3 to 4 inches long tied on a 2/0 to 3/0 hook. Crease flies will often get a bite. Other colors of Clousers are all white, pink and white, all chartreuse. The tunas we have taken on fly here have been while chunking --mainly a winter procedure. But if they do chunk grey and white deceivers with NO flash tied on 3/0 short shank hooks. You might need a sinking line for this but we used intermediates the last time we did it.
Jacks are eat big poppers if you are lucky and if they are deep you need a very heavy sinking line and heavy weighted Half and Half flies--like the tunas these guys are tackle destroyers

good luck and let us know how you did.

I use 20 pound leaders and for dolphin maybe a 30 pound bite tippet. Fluorocarbon is a good idea. Tuna leader for intermediate line is 8 foot tapered fluorocarbon leader with a 40 pound bite tippet. Jacks leaders on sinking lines 6 foot shot of 20 pound and a 25 pound bite tippet.
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby buckeyeflyguy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:28 am

Thanks so much for the advice.

Return to The Rookie Room