Moderator Control Panel ]

fly line problem

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

fly line problem

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:36 am

I have a Scientific Anglers Streamer Express fly line that i just bought about a month ago and when I went to use it for the first time the other day, I realized that there was a spot in the running line where the coating of the line did not completely cover the core. will this be a problem in the future? It is currently my primary line for my 8wt. and I was hoping to use it this fall for albies. SA wants me to send it back but I am kind of hesitant to send it since it is my primary line right now. Any recommendations?

Bradley

Also, I can take a picture of it if it would help.

Thanks!!
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Re: fly line problem

Postby bhorsley » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:58 am

send it back there will be problems
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:45 am

Thanks Brian. Any recommendations for a second line to use for albies?
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Postby bhorsley » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:48 pm

The two lines i use most for albies is Rio Clouser Floater and Striper Intermediate. But last year i used the Tropical Out Bound Intermediate a tone. Sarah will have at least 5 rods rigged and ready to go. SA makes good stuff but stay away from the Shark Skin lines--i am not impressed
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby meatstick » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:35 pm

The Boss is being gentle. Shark Skins are a cruel joke.

A single trial-run cast and "retrieve" was enough for me to make a life-long decision.

I just look stupid.

Yo !! SA !! Your employee that thought that one up .. he needs to be working for a competitor.

Postby toddkfly » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:03 pm

The Clouser and outbound are slick for sure. Send the line back to SA as that is a manufacturing defect. Like Brian said, it will be a problem down the road. I have a SA saltwater taper 8 laying around somewhere. If I find it, I'll ship it to you to use in the interim.

Postby bhorsley » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:58 pm

SA customer service is great --but if you need a line in the mean time let me know
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby teachrtec » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:43 pm

I've heard a lot of folks speak poorly of Shark Skin line seems like. Tried a friends rod and wasn't all that impressed myself. That sound was odd made me wince almost.

Postby toddkfly » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:16 pm

That sharkskin makes a ton of noise. Try it on a rod that uses the Recoil strippers and you'll need ear plugs. Not worth the jack IMHO.

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:36 pm

Thanks guys. Im sending it back this week. Thanks for the input on the albie lines. As for a line until i get it back, i think i can get it done with the floating line I stripped off of my old 8wt. Thanks for the offers though.

Bradley
Bradley

Return to The Rookie Room