Moderator Control Panel ]

Good fishing on the strong Northeast blow and full moon!

Fly fishing the Outer Banks of North Carolina

Good fishing on the strong Northeast blow and full moon!

Postby Tailwalker » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:43 pm

Took my boys down to Hatteras from Thursday through Sunday for their final summer fling before school starts tomorrow. We were supposed to go last weekend but the lovely tropical storm Danny pushed those plans back. Weather man was originally saying nice sunny skies and moderate winds after the passing. Of course that was days prior to our departure and then it suddenly went downhill from there. The Northeast blow then set in and as most of you know it has been blowing NE since last Tuesday from 15-20 knots and gusting higher. :shock:

Typical luck. They kept saying it was going to die down Friday.....WRONG!!!!!

It was horrible conditions for kayak fishing which was what we were doing. We knew there was going to be little to anywhere to get out of this wind in Hatteras so Thursday, Friday and Sunday we fished Oregon Inlet. Good call. We were able to get out of the wind behind several of the islands which we took full advantage of. We hit the jackpot on Thursday finding big hungry reds. We had reds to just shy of 30" and lost one or more that were easily over 30". Multiple specks and flounder and TONS of bluefish.

We went back Friday looking for a repeat performance on the reds. We did not find them until much later in the afternoon and we all hooked up to nice big fish. I got one right to me and did a quick releasei :D That was about a 27-28" fish. My youngest hooked up with one that was easily 33-34", pulling all kinds of drag and about yanking the rod from my son multiple times but he is a fishing machine so he did well with the fish. Got him to about 6 feet of the rod tip and lifted the rod to try and land the fish and the angle change popped the hook from his lower jaw. Oh well, he did a fine job. My oldest hooked up with a nice fish and put too much pressure on him and broke him off. My youngest caught 3 specks from 20-23" and my oldest and I hooked up with the occasional visiter to Oregon Inlet.......Ladyfish. I hooked up with an easy 4+ pound fish that immediately went nuts, jumping repeatedly trying to shake the hook, which he did, only to come racing back and slamming it again and the fight was on again. I got him 6 feet from me and he made one last jump and was gone. My son hooked up with about a 2lb ladyfish which jumped off halfway through. Still fun.

We had multiple flounder again to 19".

Saturday, we fished Hatteras, against my advise but the kids just had to fish down there. Wind was horrible. We were the only people out there inshore fishing, so that should tell you something. We caught 8 flounder, multiple ladyfish and called it a day at 3pm.

Sunday we fished Oregon Inlet again. However, we primarily had an incoming tide all morning which was not the tide we were catching our fish on. We started off slowly with a few flounder. I caught 3 specks on fly and left them to find the reds. Finally found them up on a large flat but they were SPOOKY! We made multiple cast, spooked a bunch and only caught one. We found them too late as the tide was starting to go out and they vacated the flat. We hoped we would find them in the sloughs that we found them in on Thursday and Friday but we never did. We switched gears and went and fished some deep grass and my youngest caught a 24" FAT speck. Very nice fish. We caught a few trash fish and then made another move. Some more junk and then I caught a 23" flounder. Nicest flounder I've caught down there in a few years. And let me just say that flyfishing in a 20 knot NE wind SUCKS! You really have to get creative with your cast to make it work but I did. The kids caught all of their fish on gulp and 8lb spinning outfits. Thank goodness for GULP!

We could see the rain coming up the coast from Hatteras (that we had left that morning) and pulled out of there at 6pm and headed back to Richmond.

Today we dove hunted and dodged rain squalls and killed a nice mess of doves. I think the kids really ended the summer nicely and they of course agree but I am worn out!

Going to be some good eating this week! :mrgreen:

Re: Good fishing on the strong Northeast blow and full moon!

Postby hh65cdr » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:50 pm

Awesome report! Glad you guys got into them :D
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby meatstick » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:27 am

I have seen ladyfish in Pamlico Sound before. Is that about the farthest north they visit ? Anybody ever find them around Va. Beach ?
Last edited by meatstick on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Tailwalker » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:27 am

I've heard rumors of ladyfish in Va Beach but have never seen photos. Sometimes it is hard to confirm because I catch many large shad down there in the bay and ocean in the summer and I think a lot of folks may confuse them since they don't expect shad in the bay/ocean in the summer but they are quite regular.

I do a ton of fishing down that way and I've never seen one in Va. I know they come up the Pamlico most years but they seem to be much less frequent around Oregon Inlet then they are down around Hatteras and Ocracoke. They are quite sporty.

Postby woody » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:52 am

Your kids are fortunate
I hope they realize that the end of summer isn't always so spectacular
but you really did it now
they will expect this every year ;)
Woody

It is certain that an atom of goodness on the path of faith is never lost.
Rumi

Postby bhorsley » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:10 pm

we hooked several ladies behind wanchese this summer
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Tailwalker » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:31 pm

Good info Brian. Ours were in a big creek which I hear they prefer. Was hoping we could locate more but we never did.

Woody, we definitely were not sure what to expect with the NE blow but I was hopeful the fool moon was not going to let us down and it didn't. The kids pretty much expect success every time but they both seem to have golden horseshoes, especially my youngest who was the one that landed the largest speck and pup. :)

Postby billfish » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:19 pm

great report,Tim.....bet your boys lost their minds snagging overslot reds and nice trout.Congrats on the nice flatty as well!
"Be the fish."

Postby ecks » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:10 pm

Tailwalker,
I was down near OI boat ramp last week and saw a man with a fly rod on his yak and 2 boys with spin rods on
on their yaks. Their yaks came in on a trailer. Was that you?

Postby bhorsley » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:32 pm

sadly after two weeks of northeast winds you need a shovel to fish. Water is very thick. Hopefully it will clear soon.
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Next

Return to Outer Banks