Moderator Control Panel ]

Oregon Inlet - 25.Aug.09 - Prop Slough

Fly fishing the Outer Banks of North Carolina

Oregon Inlet - 25.Aug.09 - Prop Slough

Postby wgmiller » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:06 pm

I made my first saltwater fly fishing venture this morning as I fished Prop Slough. Started around 06:30 and fished until roughly 09:00 with nothing landed :| Got to practice casting a lot of line and my double hauling which wasn't a bad thing. Winds seemed to be about 15-20 knots out of the southeast. Pretty good current coming from that direction as well. Had on a few different Clouser variations as well as a Deceiver or two and even a shrimp.

It was starting to turn into a "kitchen sink" day! :cry: Had two buddies along who were bait fishing and one them landed six to eight fish in his time there. They had cut squid on a two hook downrigger. I'll post a pic of the first fish of the day to see who knows what it is, because I sure don't! I'll be back out there on Wednesday morning starting around 07:00 and working my way out from the mouth of the marina... p.s If you fish Bodie Island, take your bug spray along!!! Trust me, I know... :o

Re: Oregon Inlet - 25.Aug.09 - Prop Slough

Postby bhorsley » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:23 pm

it is a sea robin--they eat flies also---caught many on the OBX Clouser---black over orange
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby wgmiller » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:33 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I've got a few in that color variation and will have to give them a shot Wednesday...

Postby hh65cdr » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:02 pm

My first saltwater fish on the fly was a sea robin.
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Return to Outer Banks