Moderator Control Panel ]

OI Friday the 14th

Fly fishing the Outer Banks of North Carolina

OI Friday the 14th

Postby mb82 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:57 pm

Headed out with 1wtflyrod and his son BCflyfishing this morning down at the fishing center. Had a decent morning going fishing along the Bridge. 1wt started the day off with a nice 17in flounder and a lizard fish. Later in that drift I got a 5lb striper that towed me around for a few minutes, nice fight on the 6wt. BCflyfishing caught a few lizardfish there also. Then HH65 showed up and showed us around there. I didn't catch much the rest of the day but 1wt and BCflyfishing figured out the flounder and beat up on them for a while. All in all it was fun. ~6hours in the boat, my tail is sore but it was fun
Pics from today
1wts Flounder
BCs flounder( sorry about the water drop on the image, at least it does not cover anything too important)
My striper
Underwater shot of the striper as it swam away
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Re: OI Friday the 14th

Postby NCangler » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:49 pm

Very nice. Definitely jealous.

Did the striper take a clouser?

Postby nSearchOfFlyH20 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:38 pm

Looks like in the first picture the Slough moved a little bit based on the angle of your picture. No secret in where you guys are fishing.....lol. I will be down Sept 16th. That is a pretty long walk, maybe I will bring my kayak or rent one when I am down there. I do very well on pups out at the duck blind

Postby bhorsley » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:36 am

from what i see everyday it looks like it has moved and filled in a touch---lots of bait around right now
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby lwflyrod » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:02 am

As Mb82 said good day fishing.
It was really cool to meet some other members of the board and fish with them.
- Julys trip we met Emerson and this time Jeff and Tracy -
Jeff and Tracy - Thanks. It was alot of fun to have the mini armada of yaks
As Jeff said he was towed a bit with that striper
A new experience for us (Myself and BCflyfisher2012) fishing from the Kayaks out of OI.
Oh yeah, Mb82 forgot to mention as we landed at the dock for the day, guess who was there waiting for us. NC Marine fisheries - gave us a license check - All in order. No problems with them just thought I would throw that in - good thing I put them in my dry bag, other wise they probably would have fallen to shreds from being so wet, You see it Rained on us for about 2 hours while we were fishing, the only thing that drove us in was a Rumble of thunder - so we beat feet / paddles and came in.

Bradley may have some other pictures later when he downloads his camera.
I want to say "Thank you" to HH65 for showing us around down there around OI,
It definitely will make us feel more comfortable for next years vacations/fishing excursions.
I know I know, why wait till next year, well I got to work to pay for my addiction of flyfishing.
In July on our trip with Sara she told us about a few areas there that we could fish wading / kayaking, that was great info but this excursion really put it all together.
thanks to all.

Thanks to the Wx I dont think we will be able to make it out again this trip :cry:

I used the basic Chartruese and white clouser all day. (stay with what was working)on the other hand BCflyfisher changed flies halfway through the day and was catching them on a BCflyfisher modified salt water version of one of our favorite freshwater flies. ( I think when it was all said and done, he caught more flounder than I did with that fly than I did on the Chartruese and white. )
My bet is when we get home to our fly gear, we are going to tie a bunch of those up.

On a down note, I broke a guide on my Scott 7wt, :( Must have gotten hit by one of those clousers.
guess I have to send it back to Scott for repairs next week.

We even got to check out HH65's yak and all his neat toys/rigging for his yak. gave me a bunch of ideas.
to anyone contemplating using a yak to fish from, go for it, its a blast and the rod boxes out of milk crates and pvc work great. We used rental kayaks and used 2 bungee cords to secure them to the kayak to hold our gear.

This trip was a great finale for the weeks fishing, We covered from Corrolla to Pine Island area to OI.
I dont want to go home on Sunday!!!
Lee W
"Teach a kid to fish and give the gift of a lifetime of memories."

Postby Emerson » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:53 am

Great pics, great story! You guys definitely had a blast and made the most of your visit! Plus, it looks pretty flat right there!

Thanks for sharing!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby mb82 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:04 am

Emerson wrote:Great pics, great story! You guys definitely had a blast and made the most of your visit! Plus, it looks pretty flat right there!

Thanks for sharing!

Oh it was. Not far from there I stood up and started poling/paddling myself along looking for fish to sightcast to.
Jeff G

Postby hh65cdr » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:44 am

Im just glad everyone caught fish. Nothing worse then old skunk. I had a great time. A hot shower was great when I got home.
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby wgmiller » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:16 am

Excellent writeup and it sounded like you had a great time! I think fishing from a kayak is definitely the way to go to get to cover more water. This'll be my first saltwater venture this year and I'm going to stick to strictly wading/surf fishing. Next year I'll plan on getting adventurous with a kayak... :mrgreen:

Postby mb82 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:17 am

hh65cdr wrote:A hot shower was great when I got home.

I agree with that. While it was not cold out, being as wet as I know I was I got cold when I stopped paddling and I took off my PFD.
Jeff G

Next

Return to Outer Banks