Moderator Control Panel ]

Jul. 25 & Question

Fly fishing the Outer Banks of North Carolina

Jul. 25 & Question

Postby Piscator » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:57 pm

First off, hello to everyone. New to the forums. Thank you all for the insightful and useful information i've already found reading the various posts. I'm fairly new to saltwater on the fly, having only made a handful of trips down to the OBX so far, but I feel like i'm starting to get a feel for it.

I've come down to Oregon Inlet a couple times over the last two weeks, each time catching about a dozen or so flounder, and a few needlefish during the first half of the day. None of the flounder were over 12" or so, though the needlefish were often around 4 feet.

My question this time (I plan to pick everyone's brains in the future) is: Around OI and the Prop Slough, what are some good specific locations/tactics for targetting some of the other species right now? Or do I need to look to other areas or times of year to really target species like blues and specks?

Thank you all in advance for the help, I look forward to getting to know everyone. As a grad student my schedule is fairly open while I finish my thesis, and I try to make it down every couple weeks. If anyone ever has any interest in meeting up, company on the water is always nice, just let me know. Atleast it keeps the length of the fish in the stories to a semi-realistic size anyway.

Re: Jul. 25 & Question

Postby woody » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:12 pm

does that include the 4 foot needlefish?
Woody

It is certain that an atom of goodness on the path of faith is never lost.
Rumi

Postby Piscator » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:10 pm

Tailwalker, are there needlefish that big around OI? Since this was the only one someone was around for, How long was the one that was hooked by that punky young guy who kept bugging ya for conversation while you were trying to enjoy some flounder near the bridge? ;) Maybe it was closer to 3? Perhaps my newness to the brine makes me a poor judge for now. But it seemed around that long when it tailwalked infront of us briefly.

P.S. Thank you so much for the conversation and info. Each time i've come down since that day i've become more successful, though I can't seem to find more than needles and flounder so far.

Postby Tailwalker » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:09 pm

Piscator,

Good to hear from you. You are indeed correct about the needlefish. The one you hooked in front of me was every bit of 4 feet. As we discussed that day I've caught them in the inlet easily 5 feet and some were certainly over that. There are some huge needlefish in that area. I think Woody is just joking.

Right now during summer it is really hit or miss on the other species. As we discussed if you go down closer to the mouth of the inlet you will probably do better with blues and spanish. They are there but really early and late are best as we discussed.

Specks are around. Again, they can be there one day for an hour or so and gone as quickly as they showed up. Remember the place I told you about over past the prop slough on the other side? Go there and try it but the boat traffic has to be gone.

The day you and I were there we managed a few pups before you got there and my brother had the biggest at 25", of course he caught that one on gulp. Also, try it at night like we discussed. You never know what will show up.

Feel free to drop me a bmail and I can give some other early and late spots where you can catch stripers and specks now and through late fall wading. Have you gotten that sinking line yet?

Tim

Postby Piscator » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:36 pm

I was thinking about my options regarding the lines. Since money is a bit tight right now, I was thinking about a sink tip set rather than a fully set extra spool. What is your opinion on the attachable sink tips? I expect you don't get as much functionality as from a dedicated sinking line, but under a budget and for basic applications perhaps they'd be adequate.

On the Prop Slough, how big of an area really falls under that name? or atleast under fishing consideration. Does it extend more than the slot a few hundred yards leading out of the marina? Are there any particular features to look for other than the one we discussed? Does the dropoff area at the mouth and within the fishing center warrant a few casts as well or does the traffic discourage fish entering the area?

Postby bhorsley » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:38 pm

it should be better closer to the bridge in the fall when the finger mullet show---right now things are very tough---extreme winds, dirty water and no fish to speak of
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Tailwalker » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:20 pm

I'd honestly stay away from the sink tip kits. I've got one and I really don't like them. The tips are too short for most instances and they will hinge badly.

If you have a gander mountain store down near you go check them out. They are blowing out all of their S/A wet tip express lines for 29.00-39.00. I have bought a bunch of them and bought another one yesterday. These are 60-70.00 lines and I like them. If you can't get a deal on the orvis line check these out. If you don't have one near you call one of the Va stores and have them pull a 250 for you as I'm sure they will let you charge it and then mail it to you. For that price it would be worth it.

The prop slough has a slough within the first 100 yards of the fishing center that runs into the boat channel coming out of the marina. Fish it early or late. Fall is much better. There are other areas near it that will produce better.

As Brian said right now things are hit or miss. Wind direction can screw it up quickly and until things shift back it can kill the fishing on this side of the sound. There are always areas in the sound you can get away from these conditions by going south or west or even north so you have many other options. Access is your only limitation.

Postby Piscator » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:30 pm

So at slow times around the Prop Slough and OI, perhaps this is too broad, but where would you first think to try next in the area? For example, lets say in the next couple months. Should I focus on those two locations when I come down, or try exploring other areas? I think with my newness to salt by the time I realize a spot is unproductive i've already passed the majority of the day. At this point I feel I can easily attribute a lack of success to a number of possibilities before i'd recognize, for example, the wind signaling an unproductive day. I used to worry alot about fly selection, and tied alot of combinations and sizes to accommodate, but seem to find myself throwing a chart and white clouser first and most of the time unless given reason to change.

Postby Tailwalker » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:29 pm

It's a rare day that I can't find fish somewhere around the prop slough or over on the south end of the bridge. At either place when wading I just keep moving until I find fish. Somedays I will wade a half mile or more and in places where I can more than that. Green Island slough for example. I will start at the bridge and just keeping wading down the shore heading west into the sound and then around the point going south. Eventually I am going to find fish. At the prop slough I start at the first slough and then just keep moving further out towards the bridge and or various islands. If you had a kayak it would really open up your areas but wading you are somewhat limited down there. There are other places to wade but if you want to head towards hatteras and stop at various areas on the sound on your way down south. All of the good spots are listed in various posts on here. In the Hags Head area there are only a handful of other spots that would be accessable and possibly give you success. Over around Manns Harbor is one of them, both sides of the bridge. Wanchese has some good creeks and areas but is mostly mud and there is no access unless you know someone.

The best tip I can give you is keep moving. Don't just sit in one place. If it is not producing and you are not seeing signs of fish or bait keep moving along til you do.

Return to Outer Banks