Moderator Control Panel ]

Fly Fishing Near Avon

Fly fishing the Outer Banks of North Carolina

Fly Fishing Near Avon

Postby dixonml2 » Sun May 04, 2014 11:07 pm

I will be visiting for vacation in Avon during the week of June 14-21st and was wondering if anyone had any advice on some nice wading spots to fly fish. I'm totally new to fishing here so any advice would be helpful. I'm using a 7/8 wt reel with a 8 wt rod. I won't be able to access any boats down here so any list of potential wading areas within an hour of Avon would be awesome. Thanks a lot

God Bless,

Matt

Re: Fly Fishing Near Avon

Postby Emerson » Mon May 05, 2014 7:17 am

Matt
A few places could work.
Going north go to Kinakeet life station on sound side. Drive in behind the station on the sound. You need a 4 wheel drive. There is a trough from there on down to the Canadian hole. Be careful walking out there as the trough is deep
Next. Go south to the Canadian hole. Go past it and park. No 4 wheel drive needed. Walk out 1/4 mile or less and fish from here down to Buxton

Third:go to lighthouse on ocean side. On the south side there is a deep hole where fish could be

Best flies might be a black over orange clouser size 4 or the old chartreuse over white

Now as with fishing these areas can be fished but catching is always a question.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby dixonml2 » Sun May 11, 2014 10:26 pm

Thanks a lot for your help! I appreciate it, and I'll let you all know what I see

Postby dixonml2 » Wed May 21, 2014 2:17 pm

Might actually be renting a kayak while i'm down there now. Any good suggestions where to fish with that? or any good put outs around Avon?

Return to Outer Banks