Moderator Control Panel ]

Fly fishing in July on the sound near Hatteras

Fly fishing the Outer Banks of North Carolina

Fly fishing in July on the sound near Hatteras

Postby Liftoperator » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:36 pm

Hey all,

My name is Josh, I am new to the site. I am a Colorado trout/carp flyfisherman who will be in obx for the 4th and the week after. My father in law has a carolina skiff and access to the sound, his address is in Frisco. What can we chase on a fly rod in the sound at that time? My father in law used to crab the sound, so he knows the area around oden's dock well, but he is new to sight fishing with a fly rod. I have a 7 wt and will set it up for any species you guys and gals think would be a good bet. Thanks!

Re: Fly fishing in July on the sound near Hatteras

Postby bhorsley » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:30 am

don't know about sight fishing--most of the fly fishing we do in the sounds is blind. Should be some bluefish and if the reds stick around should be a few of those.
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Emerson » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:50 am

Josh,
I have fished around Frisco a number of years..just for a 2 week period in the beginning of July. During that time of year we have found speckled trout, some blue fish and occasional Spanish mackerel. As to sight fishing, the blue fish are typically found by birds eating bait caused by the bluefish eating the bait under the surface. We will see the spanish airing out and cast towards that area as well. So...not exactly sight fishing but casting to where the fish were sighted..ha ha. For the speckled trout, it is only fishing deep (6-10 ft) in areas where trout have been known to be. We also see needle fish on the surface or in shallow water and cast toward them. None of these fish act like say, a bonefish does in swimming slowly searching for it's food on the bottom. Most of these fish are eating other fish as opposed to a crab. The trout will be more like that but the water color makes it difficult to see them actually eating your bait. I have only seen redfish a few times and that was for only a few seconds.

Going out with your father-in-law will be fantastic as he will know where activity is or has been. The redfish are there and the people who crab everyday will have the knowledge as to where. We, 2 week visitors do not have that knowledge. He will know areas where different fish will be known to be around. The sound there is a huge area to try and figure out on your own. He will give you the best chance to see fish but as Brian said....most is blind casting. Go out with your father-in-law and just be ready if you see a fish....he will stop and get you close enough. It might not be "totally" blind as you might have just seen something around and you might sight cast due to the fish being near the surface but a bit different than carp style sight fishing.

After you go..please report back as a bunch of us will be interested!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby Liftoperator » Thu May 01, 2014 5:02 am

Thanks for the intel fellas! I will be sure to report back with our findings.

Return to Outer Banks