Moderator Control Panel ]

corola

Fly fishing the Outer Banks of North Carolina

corola

Postby hooknladder » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:45 pm

I will be in Corola from August 1st to the 8th. I will be trying Surf Fishing with a Fly Rod
for the first time. I also would like to know if there are any nice places to wade near Corola or within 20 miles. I will be using a Colton 8 wt or a St Croix 6wt.

Re: corola

Postby BionicSenior » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:17 pm

Oregon Inlet is more than 20 miles from Corolla, closer to 50, but has several good areas for wading.

Here is a map of that area. #1 is right at the fishing center, called the Prop Slough (there is a big propeller there but you may not see due to bridge construction equipment). Park in the East lot and walk to the stick in the water. You will see others there fishing no doubt. #2 and #3 are on the south side of the bridge. There is a parking area just over the bridge on the left. Watch the drop offs at #3 (I personally don't like to fish there because of that). #4 is behind the Bodie Lighthouse. Drive to the light house and as you make the circular turn before the parking area, park at the small gate. Walk down the gravel road (10 minutes) to the water and fish that channel to the right and left of the dock.

Also read this http://outerbanksflyfishing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26

If anyone does have some ideas on wading Currituck Sound, I would love to hear them.

:D~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<'(((((><

Postby BionicSenior » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:43 pm

If you are interested in fishing the areas at Oregon Inlet I suggest you look at Google Earth and compare the map above to see the wading areas. Its especially useful for area #2 where you can see in a closeup the shallower areas where you can wade and where the dropoff and the slough is located. Good luck. I will be there as well but towards the end of August.

Postby wgmiller » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:34 pm

I'll be there from August 22-29; staying in South Nags Head (not far from Bodie).

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:04 am

up in the 4wd area it is usually flat enough that you wont get knocked around too bad in the surf. Tried it a few times but never caught anything. As for the currituck, not sure about wading but if you get a kayak you can travel out into it. Kayaks can be rented a lot of places and are only about $25 a day, which is a great deal for the mobility they give you. i think it is mainly largemouth bass there but I am not 100%. Also I am not sure that the coastal recreational license(which is required) covers this area. does anyone know about this? You should also check out hh64cdr's website he has some good info about the area for kayaking and about wading the area around Blossies. Good luck and let us know what you do and catch.
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Postby hh65cdr » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:18 am

Hooknladder. We dont here to many reports from the ocean side of corolla on this site. I would still give it a shot if you get a good sw-w wind and the ocean lays down I say go for it and throw some clousers. Chart over white will get you the blues if they are there and I like gray/white for trout. Now on the sound side you can catch puppy drum, trout, flounder, spot and croaker from a yak. I dont know how it is wading up there I have only kayaked across to corola to fish. Good luck to you.
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby BionicSenior » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:36 am

BCflyfisher2012 wrote:up in the 4wd area it is usually flat enough that you wont get knocked around too bad in the surf. Tried it a few times but never caught anything. As for the currituck, not sure about wading but if you get a kayak you can travel out into it. Kayaks can be rented a lot of places and are only about $25 a day, which is a great deal for the mobility they give you. i think it is mainly largemouth bass there but I am not 100%. Also I am not sure that the coastal recreational license(which is required) covers this area. does anyone know about this? You should also check out hh64cdr's website he has some good info about the area for kayaking and about wading the area around Blossies. Good luck and let us know what you do and catch.

A freshwater license is required in the Currituck Sound north of the Wright Bridge. hooknladder, just visit TW's at the Food Lion shopping center in Corolla and they will fill you in on the licenses and sell you what you need. Beach fishing requires the coastal and recreational license and soundside requires the freshwater license. http://www.twstackle.com/

Postby woody » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:09 am

I have heard some reports about bass in the sound this year and so if you run across any please give a report
Woody

It is certain that an atom of goodness on the path of faith is never lost.
Rumi

Postby BionicSenior » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:52 pm

There is fairly new public facility, called Outer Banks Center for Wildlife Education, at the public park near the Whalehead Club and the Currituck Lighthouse (Corolla) that has a short film on the history of the area. My wife and I went there this winter and I was surprised to learn that the Currituck Sound, back in the 50s and 60s was an incredible fishery, teeming with largemouth bass. It was not unusual to experience 100+ fish days according to the narrator and the photos of fisherman on the time seemed to bear that out. The sound was full of milfoil but it mysteriously disappeared and so did the bass. I was told at TWs that folks tend to cath bass on the mainland side of the sound in the Aydlet area and north but I have no first hand knowledge of that. The little boat ramp at the park is perfect for kayaks and other small boats to explore and fish the area, especially the marshes. I have even launched my 19 ft bass boat there with no problem. Its also a nice area to take little kids with a net, line and some chicken necks to dip for crabs. $10 in TW's buys all you need to do this.

Postby lwflyrod » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:25 pm

I have had that same question about what is what and what license is needed,
I am not an authority here, but I did some research and am looking at getting a live person to tell me too, but by what I can tell fron the NCDMF North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries, the Currituck Sound is considered Coastal Joint Inland Waters
http://www.ncfisheries.net/maps/coastal ... index.html
and
http://www.ncfisheries.net/maps/coastal ... /map04.pdf
and
http://www.ncfisheries.net/maps/coastal ... /map09.pdf
and is covered by the North Carolina Coastal Recreational Fishing License
http://www.ncfisheries.net/recreational/NCCRFLtypes.htm
I quote off their website
"The license allows recreational fishermen to take finfish for personal consumption; finfish harvested under this license cannot be sold. Fishermen using this license are held to the state’s recreational size and possession limits. The license cannot be assigned or transferred and is required for ANY type of recreational finfish taken not included under the Recreational Commercial Gear License. Fishermen holding the CRFL are required to comply with all DMF sampling and survey programs.

The license is required to recreationally take finfish in the state’s Coastal Fishing Waters, which include sounds, coastal rivers and their tributaries, out to three miles in the ocean. Recreational anglers who catch fish in the Exclusive Economic Zone (3 miles – 200 miles offshore) will be required to have this license to land fish in state waters. Fishing in Joint Waters (areas managed by both the Marine Fisheries and the Wildlife Resources commissions) will require either the CRFL or a WRC inland fishing license."

Based on this info if you get this license you can fish both offshore/surf and the sound for one license.

I hope this helps

But please call them to confirm. I tried today but of course its after 5 and they are closed.
Lee W
"Teach a kid to fish and give the gift of a lifetime of memories."

Next

Return to Outer Banks