Moderator Control Panel ]

Weatherman is an idiot!

Fly fishing the Outer Banks of North Carolina

Weatherman is an idiot!

Postby Tailwalker » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:20 pm

We've been down all week fishing around the Oregon Inlet area and back in the sound. Overall this year fishing seems a bit slow all things compared but we have steadily caught nice stripers and specks. We have caught some really nice stripers to 14lbs, both on fly and on the spinning rod and some decent specks to 21". Today we thought we would fish closer to the bridge due to the sw wind which we knew would likely make it grassy since it has been NE to E all week. However, they were calling for 10-15. By 9am it was blowing 20 easy and by 11 it was easily blowing 25 with gusts well above it. Nasty does not even begin to describe it. I thought I was in Patogonia!

Saw Brian and Sarah as we motored around today, hope you all had better luck today then we did. Try as we could we just could not find any decent place to get out of the wind that held fish. We were on the grass beds early and Brian pulled up and stayed about 10 minutes. I guess you discovered what we already knew....NO FISH!

Probably should have stuck to our productive location but hey, I wanted to branch out some this week and try something different. Oh well. Tomorrow looks to be a bust too. 15-25. I don't think it is even worth the effort. Knowing what it was like today with a 10-15 forecast I can only imagine how bad they will have it screwed up for tomorrow with 15-25 forecasted! :(

Re: Weatherman is an idiot!

Postby billfish » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:45 am

Yeah...I've been guilty of that sin also,recently....leaving fish to find fish.I try to justify it to myself in the name of "exploring new water".You should know by now...(10-15)=(20-25) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .
"Be the fish."

Postby woody » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:28 am

I to was mislead by the weatherman
I had a choice of the Parker for offshore or the Hewes for inshore
I saw the winds would be s to ssw so I decided to bag the offshore and fish behind Pea Island which can be good on a falling tide with south winds (Current)
but no the winds were honking SW toWSW
much better offshore than in the slop
no trout but a few flounder
fished a spot where they had clobbered flounder Wednesday but no love Thursday-
now that IS speckle fishing

took a sloppy ride back to the docks before 3 anticipating the storm
no storm
Woody

It is certain that an atom of goodness on the path of faith is never lost.
Rumi

Postby Tailwalker » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:23 pm

Yep,

They blew it today as well as you noted Woody. We fished on the southside of the inlet today and killed the flounder on fly and had a few nice pups early on the outgoing. The incoming brought some really cold water from the ocean. I even caught a 15" amberjack on some structure. I've never caught one that small but he was quite frisky. No trout for us today either but we got a late start. ;)

Postby bhorsley » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:50 pm

if i am trout fishing down south i prefer 15 to 20 southwest---i'll take it everyday. We did catch five trouts on the south end of that slough which bordered on impossible since i had a 5 yr old melting down and and only fished 30 minutes.

Hell if it blows under 25 i call it a victory--the harder it blows the less people i see and that makes me very happy.

We had a super day today--will report in the our section
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Tailwalker » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:11 pm

Thanks Brian. Glad you all got them. Are you anchoring when you fish for the trout? I am running the trolling motor working the area and with that wind it is quite a pain. I hear you on the crowd issue. Nothing like the wind to keep them off the water. I was surprised by how few people were on that slough yesterday. I wondered if you all got into any when you picked up and moved south. Been there and done that with the young kids. My own boys used to do that to me and I can only imagine trying to work a charter around it. :)

Postby Mushmouth » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:21 pm

Took the day off yesterday as well to take two 7 and 8 year olds, dads and a granddad out to ride the bag. My son had the choice between a playing hooky for a day at aquarium camp (which is a great deal--he had a tough choice) --or riding the bag. Without hesitation he chose the bag. I think I have created a bag monster.

Woody was right, much calmer in the ocean than the sound. The afternoon wind showed up early. The boys handled the chop well and caught 6 sharpies on squid and a broomstick spanish before heading in due to the wind. Sharpies are the bomb for kids--great pullage not to mention the jaws factor. It will be all over if we ever hit the twilight zone like the Boss did today.
Learning from each other....While we do our thang na, na, na
Gonna have a good time na, na, na
-Fat Albert

Postby woody » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:54 pm

I always feel pretty good when the choice I make for trout I see Brian nearby
glad you got into them
but I just could not find a current
Woody

It is certain that an atom of goodness on the path of faith is never lost.
Rumi

Return to Outer Banks