Moderator Control Panel ]

Week of July 4th

Fly fishing the Outer Banks of North Carolina

Week of July 4th

Postby wildmttrout » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:44 pm

Coming down on a vacation during the 4th. I will be towing a 16 ft jon boat with a small outboard. Looking to fish the sound only. Any fish being caught? Not looking for hotspots nor any of the such; just a basic "Your boat will do fine with low wind and a some puppy drum have been caught." Have a 18' pole and I am very comfortable using it as well. Has anyone saw any tailers? I realize that OBX is not the sight fishing capital; however, there should still be some fish being caught.

Re: Week of July 4th

Postby bhorsley » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:58 am

there are some trout being caught --Kitty Hawk bay has been good and protected for the most part --few puppy drum on some points in deeper holes. Back side of Roanoke Island has been good for the specks but can get very rough on hard southwest winds.

as for tailers i have fished here for 40 yrs. and never seen one --take that back saw a whole school in a mosquito ditch over on the western side of Croatan sound but they turned out to be stripers. Best advice for tailers do not tune off Interstate 95 until you hit the exit for Wilmington. we do not have the tidal range here 2 feet is a big tide
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby wildmttrout » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:04 pm

bhorsley wrote:there are some trout being caught --Kitty Hawk bay has been good and protected for the most part --few puppy drum on some points in deeper holes. Back side of Roanoke Island has been good for the specks but can get very rough on hard southwest winds.

as for tailers i have fished here for 40 yrs. and never seen one --take that back saw a whole school in a mosquito ditch over on the western side of Croatan sound but they turned out to be stripers. Best advice for tailers do not tune off Interstate 95 until you hit the exit for Wilmington. we do not have the tidal range here 2 feet is a big tide

Yeah, I sort of research and found the same on the tailers.

Will my boat be sufficient?

Postby bhorsley » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:23 pm

depends on where you will be fishing ---makes all the difference in the world --where are you staying ?
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby wildmttrout » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:27 am

bhorsley wrote:depends on where you will be fishing ---makes all the difference in the world --where are you staying ?

Across from Oregon Inlet; camping. Plan on fishing around Bodie and the Sound around the Inlet (away from the inlet itself).

Postby bhorsley » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:07 am

you should be fine but do your fishing early if the wind is form the southwest as it will get VERY windy most afternoons
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby wildmttrout » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:54 pm

bhorsley wrote:you should be fine but do your fishing early if the wind is form the southwest as it will get VERY windy most afternoons

Thanks

Return to Outer Banks