Moderator Control Panel ]

Prop Slough....

Fly fishing the Outer Banks of North Carolina

Re: Prop Slough....

Postby Tailwalker » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:44 pm

Marsh Marlin is a needlefish. Poormans Marlin, houndfish, etc. I love catching the big ones on the fly. Talk about a drag burner. There are some monsters in Oregon Inlet. 5' plus and big around as a softball. Years ago my buddy and I were wading Oregon inlet at about midnight. Catching the heck out of grey trout when my buddy hooks into something solid which promptly dumped his reel almost to the not. He is standing there asking me what to do and I tol him to just hold on. I knew it was a needlefish and it would slow down eventually. It did, right about about the knot which was 200 yards of backing plus the flyline. Took him about 20 minutes and a lot of coaching but he finally lands it. It was 5' and he kept asking me to get the fly out :shock:

He had his headlight on when we got the fish close and I told him to turn it off as they like to jump towards lights and impale people (not kidding). You've never seen someone turn his light off so fast. :D

Postby Cutter » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:05 pm

I think that is better known as an Emerson-fish.
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby billfish » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:00 pm

Siessmack....yep,Tailwalker is right on time about Marsh Marlins.In fact,I 'preciate the info about them jumping into lights.Did not know that little tidbit!!Thanks,man.These were nice'uns....tailwalkin',cartwheelin' and left my reel sprayin' me with mist from line leavin' it so quickly!!! :shock: The blues were just jig stealin' bothersome bassturds.
Nsearchofflyh2o....Yep.Head South past Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo....I guess about 8-9 miles.Its about the 3 soundside turnoff.You'll pass 2 Beach Ramps and it's not far north of Avon.Good spotty grass beds next to a big dropoff.
hh65cdr....Dude...I personally wouldn't suggest that unless you are in phenominal shape.I was told by a guy who did it that it is a bugger of a paddle and against a prevailing breeze one may end up in Englehardt. :o :o You may want to ask the Boss on that one.
"Be the fish."

Postby Siessmack » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:45 am

Tailwalker thanks. I thought you might be referring to them or maybe Lizardfish. I Love tying some Marsh Marlin flies for cuda. I went to Bermuda 8 years ago or so and got one 2 1/2 feet long to eat a surf candy. He honestly didn't fight too well, I got him to the dock in under a minute. When I threw him back in the water he clearly wasn't feeling too well and flopped around on the surface for about 10 seconds before a big Cuda totally eradicated him. It was an awesome explosion

Postby hh65cdr » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:44 am

Billfish thanks for the intel and input. I dont know anything about the place, just found the reef to be around 2 miles from land on a map. Can you explain what you ment by behind the reef for the spanish?
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby billfish » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:01 am

Oh,sorry,dude....I just took notice that you were assuming the reference was to an "artificial reef",AR296....Nope,it is just where the the sound on the backside of the island shallows-up a coupla miles out,noticeably....That's what the old salts and local boys called it when they explained it to me years ago.Naturally occuring...I guess from the islands slow westward progression.Generally runs the entire length of the island.The smack bite I heard about was down near Buxton,but,I feel like those are Hatteras Inlet fish.Don't know if they are gnawin' near OI.....Again,Brian could answer better than I.Eat your Wheaties and let us know if you find 'em.
"Be the fish."

Postby Emerson » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:21 am

Here is a 6 foot emersonious gigaticus held by a 6 foot emersonious perfecticous

It would have dumped me had not Brian chased it with the boat :D

I am an expert at catching these guys! :P :mrgreen: :geek:
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby billfish » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:37 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .....Yessireee,that's one of the culprits!!!
"Be the fish."

Postby nSearchOfFlyH20 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 am

Is this area easily wadeable? I will have to try it. I really only know of three spots when I come down and am lucky enough to do so well I only go there. I am always up for trying something new when I come down. The more options the better of course. Thanks for the intel

Postby hh65cdr » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:31 am

Thanks Bill fish. I might try the AR but dont think I want to paddle out to edge your talking about that is a hike. Emerson thats a nice one. I took one from the jetty last summer that was a hoot. But I want to get a big one and go for a sled ride.
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

PreviousNext

Return to Outer Banks