Moderator Control Panel ]

Prop Slough....

Fly fishing the Outer Banks of North Carolina

Prop Slough....

Postby nSearchOfFlyH20 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:26 pm

No one is posting. Is it that good? That bad? Or is everyone just too busy? Thinking of coming down tomorrow night because I am bored up here just catching flounder.

Re: Prop Slough....

Postby meatstick » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:19 pm

Check the Little Kinnakeet post on the Hatteras Island - Ocracoke board. This was posted by Billfish yesterday.

New post Re: Little Kinnakeet...
June 23-27th.....I was fishing by myself this trip.I arrived a couple of hours early to check-in,so,I waded out in one of my regular holes.....limited out on 17-18" specks in 50 minutes.EVERY cast...it was STUPID! All on 3" glow Gulp shrimp.The water was plumb full of glass minnows all around me and 3' wide rays,both in schools.
Day 2.... got 5 specks,in about 3 hours.Days 3 and 4....tried the Little Kinnakeet Station.I have to say,that's a cool little spot.First day,there were a couple of other dudes back there and I fell in with them.We all spent the next few hours jumping off huge marsh marlins and replacing jigheads from 16" blues biting them off.I managed to string 1 decent trout and a blue.The wind had swung around and was grassing up the plce bad.One of the boys I was fishing around dragged a 22" flatty up,using a white 1/2 oz. jig w/ chartreuse curly tail plastic.Day 4 sucked....hard SW wind ,grassed up horribly,could hardly fish.Took the rest of the day off to recover them "old" legs from wading.Last day....decided to go back to the hole where I limited the first day.I was in the water and fishing way before light....had three nice specks strung by 6 am.Continued to tough it out until noon,when I landed the 10th and final speck,for my second limit of the week.Also,caught a coupla short flounder.I guess the morel to the story is never leave fish to find fish! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
My buddy is down this week....he said they waded the Prop Slough Saturday AM and caught 22 flatties and only kept 3.....16-17".Good fishin' to ya! 8-)

Looks like you'd be leaving flatties for more flatties.

Postby billfish » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:41 pm

nsearchofflyh2o.....it's more goin' on than that(on the right wind).I'm a fool over good trout fishing and my buddy would fish for flounder 365 days a year,if he could.We didn't really look to catch anything else.Blues and Smacks are real thick on the almost all piers in the evenings especially.....Smacks behind the reef soundside.....I understand inshore wrecks are holding the usual suspects.....Xtra big Mullet and Pomps in the surf.....Big azz Biters near Cape Point.....and ,of course,trout,flounder and reds backside and the inlet.Pick one and bring sharp hooks!
"Be the fish."

Postby woody » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:20 pm

translation?
Woody

It is certain that an atom of goodness on the path of faith is never lost.
Rumi

Postby billfish » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:03 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ...uuuuhhh....the feesh is bitin'.What part do ya need help with?Smacks=spanish mackeral
POMPS=pompano
BigAzz Biters=Large Sharks
Mullett=Whiting
The "end-dwellers" on the piers are picking up nice Kingfish from time to time...if'n you're into that sort of thing.
My point was that we targeted certain species,did real well in catching quite :mrgreen: a few and went home happy.
"Be the fish."

Postby woody » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:21 am

gotcha
Thx
Woody

It is certain that an atom of goodness on the path of faith is never lost.
Rumi

Postby hh65cdr » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:12 am

Smacks behind the reef soundside??? Can someone tell me where this is and could I get there on my yak?
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby hh65cdr » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:43 am

I think I found it. AR-296
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby nSearchOfFlyH20 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:49 pm

Little Kinnakeet Station.....????? Where is that. I take it south of OI and maybe off the island?

Postby Siessmack » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:06 pm

What's a marsh marlin referring to? That's a new one to me

Next

Return to Outer Banks