Moderator Control Panel ]

Any News From Corolla south To OI

Fly fishing the Outer Banks of North Carolina

Any News From Corolla south To OI

Postby lwflyrod » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:17 am

I am coming down to OBX This Sunday July 1 for the 1st of our 2 annual Trips this year, Bradley (bcflyfisher) most likely won't be with me, :cry: as he reported he is Fishing (I mean working) in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and probably wont be coming with us till the August trip. So I dont have big excuse to do any real trips south of OI this time,

Since I will be fishing by myself. I haven't seen much on the reports. Any help?
Lee W
"Teach a kid to fish and give the gift of a lifetime of memories."

Re: Any News From Corolla south To OI

Postby Biff » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:28 am

Bullet Mackerel appearing in the surf a bit, blues still around and Spanish are popping out all over. Pompano on the south side of Hatteras also (yum!) and trout are all over the sound. We fished prop slough at the inlet two weeks ago and had some luck, and a drum behind Bodie light. Things are looking up!
You can never take a picture of a thing, you can only take a picture of the light on a thing - "the way that light attaches to a girl"

Postby lwflyrod » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:32 pm

Thanks Biff.

And I got a call yesterday from Bradley, he said Dad I need an order from Lwflyrods fly shop. Cause I don't have my tying gear with me.
We couldn't fit in the the car on the move and haven't had a chance to separate it from my stuff and ship it to him.

I said for what, he said a dozen chart/white clousers and dozen black/orange.
I said for when August? :?:
He said No for Sunday!
He's flying back on Saturday to spend the week with us in OBX......YES! :P
that's cool but hurts the pocketbook!
Oh man I better get tying. :o
Lee W
"Teach a kid to fish and give the gift of a lifetime of memories."

Postby Houli » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:20 pm

Any luck on your trip? I'm headed to Duck Sunday and bringing my kayak ..... anything worth throwing a 7 wt at in the sound up that way>?

Thanks,
Ryan

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:04 pm

Bring a sinking line and take your kayak out on the ocean side when its calm enough. Most of the soundside up that way is relatively "freshwater" to my understanding. when lwflyrod and I were downm we picked up a few blues in the surf on fly but most of the action came from foul hooking bunker. In years past however, we have caught plenty of croaker on fly when they were in by wading in the surf with intermediate lines and clousers.

good luck and let us know how it goes.
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Postby Houli » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Will do - thanks for the note.

Return to Outer Banks