Moderator Control Panel ]

Little Kinnakeet...

Fly fishing the Outer Banks of North Carolina

Little Kinnakeet...

Postby billfish » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:48 am

Anybody here fish back of the old Little Kinnakeet Lifesaving Station?Looks like a "likely" spot on satellite shots that I've viewed.Any comments?Can you park and walk back? after hours?Deep water channel appears to be easy walking distance....anything to look for or avoid?Tips appreciated! 8-)
"Be the fish."

Re: Little Kinnakeet...

Postby bhorsley » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:30 am

i fished it 20 yrs ago. The slough runs all the way to Avon. Hard sand and good wading
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Emerson » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:38 am

Billfish,
We have fished that area a lot..but not for a few years. If you go in behind the old station...you will need 4-wheel drive..not to go in but to turn around at the end. You can walk straight to the slough..fish it north first. At the far north end there is a bowl..that is where the dredging began. We have caught blues, stripers, croaker, small reds, lizards, specks, cutlass fish, pinfish, spot, small flounder and of course..nothing over the years...maybe other species but I might have forgotten. One huge speck was taken and nice size reds were seen..not by us. There are tons of jumping mullet that get you excited. One day while fishing there alone a huge head with a long neck appeared just in front of me...almost gave me a heart attack..I thought it was Nessie from Scotland...went to Frank and Frans to tell them of the sea monster and they told me.....it was an otter!...still scared me a bit..to say the least!

The deal is to walk slowly .(.very slowly )out until you feel the bottom giving way..notice I said slowly as it drops off at a 45 degree angle. If you move north you can..at times go around the entire bowl. We have not had a much luck walking south. There are 2 more places to get to the slough before Avon..you can stop there as well.

The slough goes all the way to Buxton...down there we have had luck as well but it is a long walk out to the area. It also get fished heavily in the Buxton area.

Flies that we used were Brian's black over orange with lots of gold or copper flash..size 1 to 4 or the good old chartreuse over white.

The bottom is fine..we just used old sneakers before we bought wading shoes..then we graduated to flats wading shoes, fast dry shorts..bug dope and we used striping baskets as we naturally tried to cast as far as possible :lol:

If you go, let us know how you do!

Good luck!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby billfish » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:43 pm

Thank you,gentlemen...THAT is exactly the info I was hoping for.I'll be hittin' a few spots Tuesday through Sunday of next week,and will be sure to report here.I thank you again for taking the time to clue me in on that.
"Be the fish."

Postby billfish » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:31 pm

June 23-27th.....I was fishing by myself this trip.I arrived a couple of hours early to check-in,so,I waded out in one of my regular holes.....limited out on 17-18" specks in 50 minutes.EVERY cast...it was STUPID! All on 3" glow Gulp shrimp.The water was plumb full of glass minnows all around me and 3' wide rays,both in schools.
Day 2.... got 5 specks,in about 3 hours.Days 3 and 4....tried the Little Kinnakeet Station.I have to say,that's a cool little spot.First day,there were a couple of other dudes back there and I fell in with them.We all spent the next few hours jumping off huge marsh marlins and replacing jigheads from 16" blues biting them off.I managed to string 1 decent trout and a blue.The wind had swung around and was grassing up the plce bad.One of the boys I was fishing around dragged a 22" flatty up,using a white 1/2 oz. jig w/ chartreuse curly tail plastic.Day 4 sucked....hard SW wind ,grassed up horribly,could hardly fish.Took the rest of the day off to recover them "old" legs from wading.Last day....decided to go back to the hole where I limited the first day.I was in the water and fishing way before light....had three nice specks strung by 6 am.Continued to tough it out until noon,when I landed the 10th and final speck,for my second limit of the week.Also,caught a coupla short flounder.I guess the morel to the story is never leave fish to find fish! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
My buddy is down this week....he said they waded the Prop Slough Saturday AM and caught 22 flatties and only kept 3.....16-17".Good fishin' to ya! 8-)
"Be the fish."

Postby bhorsley » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:06 am

excellent!!
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby billfish » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:47 am

Thanks,Brian.
"Be the fish."

Return to Outer Banks