Moderator Control Panel ]

OI Sat-7/30-

Fly fishing the Outer Banks of North Carolina

OI Sat-7/30-

Postby Mushmouth » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:54 pm

While the wife was away the boys went to play. Boss' Friday spectacular made it any easy choice to skip the sound and hunt for our own personal twilight zone. Took my 9 year old and his new heroes, two OBX Daredevil college baseball players, one of whom is staying with us for the summer for their first bag riding adventure on a rare off day. The boys rolled in about 3:00 a.m. from their win up the road for a 5:30 launch. Who needs sleep (thanks Boss for the endorphin rush)) when the zone is waiting. Arrived on scene and deployed bag to discover a bit of a misfire (left the squid in the freezer). Quote of the day---That's like showing up to the game without bats. That why the boss is major league and I stick to the weekends.

To quickly avert squidgate, we committed to improvising and caught some bait on site in the form of some small jacks and assorted reef dwellers. After assorted pairs and singles of dolphins and to the tune of Ride of the Valkyries, we spotted Mr. Turtle and coerced a nice school of peanuts off a turtle and commenced to work them over on light tackle and even got them to try the fly. Rode the north wind back in to catch a nap and beat the heat. We didn't keep score but we beat team mahi today and only kept enough for lunch. No sharks or men in brown suits (saw a couple riding another turtle) but had some happy/tired campers at days end and convinced an Okie you can fly fish in salt. Think we have a new convert to the bag and to the saltwater fly. Beautiful day and the beauty of the bag---not another boat in sight.

On another note I heard a rumor FlyGirl rocked her Saturday and came home with some bling. :D
Learning from each other....While we do our thang na, na, na
Gonna have a good time na, na, na
-Fat Albert

Re: OI Sat-7/30-

Postby bhorsley » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:01 am

awesome report glad you got them
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Return to Outer Banks