Moderator Control Panel ]

Places to launch kayaks soundside

Fly fishing the Outer Banks of North Carolina

Places to launch kayaks soundside

Postby jakeparlay » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:37 pm

Anyone know of some good spots to put in kayaks on the Sound down near Frisco/Hatteras? We picked up a handful of ocean sit-on-tops, but after a couple days riding the waves I'm getting the itch to cast a few lines on the sound...

oh -- thought I should add -- I don't have 4WD

thanks!!

Re: Places to launch kayaks soundside

Postby jakeparlay » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:48 pm

we put in at the turn-off on 12, between frisco and hatteras this morning. cruised around the bay all morning and spent some time near durant pt.

chucked some clousers and crease flies around some of the deeper sections, but nothing to report. i stepped on a ray while wading around. that was the peak of the excitement!

Postby Emerson » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:22 am

you could go on down to the inlet on the sound side...go past the ferry..keep left and stay on the sand road...keep right until you get to water...lots of flounder around. Watch out for the boats in that area...at least there are fish there. I ad bad luck around Frisco this year.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby jakeparlay » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:43 am

thanks! yeah, talking to a few guys local in hatteras and they pointed me the same direction.

i'm going to borrow my brother in laws AWD rental suv and give it a shot. will let some air out of the tires and see if I can get out there...

wonder if it fishes better on the incoming or outgoing

Postby Emerson » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:21 pm

In-coming...

Out going has tons of grass as it is at the end of flushing the entire sound...+ ya do not want to get near the inlet in out going as it rips through there....

Get tires down to 20...it is tough sand at the sound as you must turn around there...
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby jakeparlay » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:58 am

thanks, great info... a bit skittish on the driving aspect, but hey, i guess theres always the option of a tow

got some weakfish (i think thats what you call them) yesterday beyond the surf oceanside hatteras and had a mackerel bite off about ten feet from the kayak. frustrating!

Return to Outer Banks