Moderator Control Panel ]

Kayak Armada Report 8/12

Fly fishing the Outer Banks of North Carolina

Kayak Armada Report 8/12

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:04 pm

lwflyrod and I headed out today for the 2nd annual meeting of the kayak armada to fish around the Oregon Inlet Area. Headed out from the ramp about 745 and went in behind the coast guard station for a drift, The other members were running a little late so we decided to make a few drifts on our own. Tracy was suppose join us but ended up not feeling well so he cancelled out at the last minute.
On the first drift caught a croaker on a top secret fly. about 830 MB82, his Dad and Brother in law joined us.
4 of us with flyrods and one spinning rod. we worked the area back there for about 3 hours or so.
Jeff caught a Lion fish??? Spec and couple of Croaker
Not sure if Jeff's dad caught any but know he missed a few. Jeffs brother in law played with some fish using Gulp (not sure how many he got)
I totaled 8 croaker today one of them even took a crab fly and a 20" Flounder on the Top Secret Fly.
My Dad (lwflyrod) didnt get skunked but was darn close he finally got 1 croaker about 2pm. He was casting to what he thought were reds all morning and couldnt get one to bite.
We had fish jumping all around us but nothing was really eating our flies except the flies I had.
We packed in around 230, Jeffs GPS said we covered about 7 miles.
was a pretty nice day on the water with good company.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Re: Kayak Armada Report 8/12

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:06 pm

here are a few more pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Postby bhorsley » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:36 pm

lion fish --would be a sea robin or an oyster toad i bet. Lion fish are deep water reef dwellers. Lots of bunker around and if the fish were coming out of the water they were more than likely jumping mullet--
at least you got some nibbles--worst year i have had in the sound in 18 yrs.
keep at it somethings got to give
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby hh65cdr » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:52 pm

Wish I could have been there but I stayed near the head today. Glad you guys caught some fish. Nice looking croakers!
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby mb82 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:15 am

Brian Oyster toad might have been right. Only saw it for a few moments and since a buddy caught a lion fish(picture verified) on the hampton bar 3 weeks ago I must have had it on the mind. It was ~12 inches long and didn't fight for anything. Big frilly pectoral fins also.

I had fun, BIL caught 6 fish on gulp. Dad got a goose egg.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby mb82 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:58 am

Ok I have my pics up now.

First is a croaker I caught. Fun on the 6wt.

one of Bradley's bigger croaker

My BIL Troys Flounder, caught on gulp. He tried flyfishing but never got it down so he is a spinning guy. I won't hold that against him.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby toddkfly » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:07 am

Good stuff fellas! Hope to get out a little while down this week. Chandler is running around the house gathering her tackle. Pretty funny. My (2) good fly boxes are down on the boat so will have to make due with whatever I can scrounge up.

Postby wgmiller » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:04 am

Those yak pics are givin' me the itch! T minus five days...

Return to Outer Banks