Moderator Control Panel ]

Rodanthe Sound side

Fly fishing the Outer Banks of North Carolina

Rodanthe Sound side

Postby jgfetterhoff » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:25 pm

My family and I are heading to Rodanthe for a week the beginning of August. Last year was our first time in the Outer Banks and we loved it. I had never fished the surf or sound before last year. I had a great time and even caught a few fish. This year i want to be better prepared and maybe explore a bit more. The sound fishing I did last year was down below Avon someone called the Canadian Hole. Not much luck there and the water seemed so shallow and warm but there were others fishing there. My question is wondering if fishing can be done in the sound at Rodanthe. I am looking to wade fish and saw a post somewhere talking about a spot of the area where the Little Kinnakeet Life Saving Station is located. Why travel down there if there are opportunities out the back door. Didn't really see anyone out there fishing last year. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts? I am a cold spring trout fisherman and really don't know much about Salt Water Fishing.

John

Re: Rodanthe Sound side

Postby Emerson » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:48 pm

I have fished in that area but it was in a boat....there are not a lot of known..at least to me...holes there. The reason that Little Kinnakeet Life Saving Station and down to the Canadian Hole are 'good' is that there is a dredge trough all along there. The water might be as much as 9 feet deep. Trout and other types of fish hang in the deeper water. For the wade fisherman, that is the best and only deal. I know that those areas are not great but we have caught a number of fish there..it is a hike from Rodanthe though.

I have waded out from New Inlet around the old bridge and have gotten a good workout(tranlsated.... zip in the fish category)..there can be redfish/drum there at times but ...you need the correct tide, fish and luck. be careful around the old bridge there as there were some deeper areas..not super deep but...potential trouble.

Two years ago Brian and I were in his boat looking for action around that area and found lots of Pete Maxwell's favorite fish..needle fish or hound fish....that is a possibility..if you so desire!

I have not fished the ocean side by wading for a real long time ...usually when we did, we were looking for birds and then fish under them...in the fall or spring..
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby bhorsley » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:42 pm

most o Rodanthe sound side close in is over run with jet ski and it is super shallow. Check with Hatteras Jack in Rodanthe Typical water temps in the summer are going to be in the 80's on the soundside
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby jgfetterhoff » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:42 am

Thanks for the info. I guess I should have expected as much with the absence of other fishermen. Are both of you implying that there can be decent fishing further out in the sound at Rodanthe which would require a boat?

Postby bhorsley » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:19 am

at times the fishing can be good behind rodanthe in a boat. But our fish do not stay stationary --they are in a spot one day and might be five miles away the next. it very hard to explain the fluid nature our our fishery. This year has been the worst--
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby jgfetterhoff » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:42 pm

"worst" in terms of what? Predicting where the fish will be? or Fishing altogether?

Postby bhorsley » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:47 pm

all of the above
Pure-T-Mommicked

Return to Outer Banks