Moderator Control Panel ]

Of course vacation

Fly fishing the Outer Banks of North Carolina

Of course vacation

Postby jasonclimer » Mon May 31, 2010 11:27 pm

Hello all my name is Jason I live up in Akron Ohio and am taking a vacation down to Nags Head :D :D :. We will be their next Sat. and staying for a week!!!! :P :P :P I have been given some good advice and read some really good back posts so I kind of have an idea of what to do, although I will probably do it wrong. I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good local fly shop down their? I was also wondering about using poppers and if I might need waders to wade the sound? Anyway thanks for any input and if anyone ever makes it up this way for some Steelheading feel free to drop me a line.
Thanks Jason

Re: Of course vacation

Postby bhorsley » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:53 am

jason --sorry there are no fly shops with in 4 hours. The sound water is now 75 degrees so wet wading is fine. I have never done very well with poppers --but that is me. Clousers seem to be our go to fly. Have a good vacation
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby jasonclimer » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:36 pm

Thanks Brian, I am really looking forward to coming down and wetting a line!!!! Sounds like I'll stuff the pack with clouser's and give it a go!!!

Postby jgaeng » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:00 am

My name is John and I am coming down from Baltimore the week of June 5th for vacation on Hatteras Island. I plan to fish the surf and sound for the first time with a fly rod. Does anyone know if there are any creatures to be aware of on the sound side like Sting Rays? Also, I thought I read that there is a tackle shop in, or near, Nags Head that sells a limited supply of fly gear. I would like to maybe to pick-up some Clousers if I run out of those I am bringing. Does anyone know anything about this or of another place in the area where I can pick-up some flies for the salt?

Postby bhorsley » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:11 am

Check with TW's in NAgs head for flies but bring them with you if you can. There are plenty of jellyfish in the sounds and and lots of sting rays so walk carefully
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby hh65cdr » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:28 am

TW's in Kitty Hawk has a few flies if anyone gets in a pickle. They had a few of your go to colored clousers.
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Return to Outer Banks