Moderator Control Panel ]

Please allow me to introduce myself...

Fly fishing the Outer Banks of North Carolina

Please allow me to introduce myself...

Postby ken » Sun May 30, 2010 8:35 am

New to this forum. I'm a salt water fly fishing wannabe. I have done a lot of fresh water fly fishing but never got it going in the salt. I have lived on Ocracoke since 1995 and fished with sinkers and bait and lures. I guess I'll have to give in and book a trip with Brian and Sarah!

I do most of my fishing from a kayak (Hobie Revolution). Started kayak fishing 5 years ago and love it. I use the kayak to get to areas to wade fish with fly outfit, but mostly use the dreaded "sinkers and bait" approach.

I am happy to offer suggestions and experience on kayak rigging, fishing, and Ocracoke waters. Drop me a note.

In the meantime, I will keep working on trying to get my avatar small enough to post!

Ken DeBarth
So much water; so little time

Re: Please allow me to introduce myself...

Postby hh65cdr » Sun May 30, 2010 10:16 am

Welcome Ken. I would like to come to Okracoke sometime and have you show me some spots. In return I would be glad to show you what I dont know around Oregon Inlet.
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby Coastalexplorer » Sun May 30, 2010 11:45 pm

Ken:

Likewise, Ocracoke/Portsmouth Island has interested me since a family vacation there almost 10 years ago. Would love to get togehter and fish there. I could trade an outing here in the Virginia Beach area. I have the same philosiphy - use the kayak to get to places where I can get out and wade.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Coastal Explorer
http://www.KevinDuBoisPhoto.com

Postby ken » Mon May 31, 2010 7:48 am

That sounds great to me guys! PM me when y'all might get down this way! You are both in areas that I'd like to try, and I'd be glad to show you around here.

The wind is a problem down here for the kayak. There aren't a lot of options when the wind is out the west (or SW or NW) in double digits. It makes it hard for long term planning. No place to hide and a long fetch for the waves to build.

Thanks for the replies.

ken

Postby hh65cdr » Mon May 31, 2010 10:50 am

Ken, Have you ever made the trek over to portsmouth Is? I have a book that shows a route I would like to try one day pending conditions were right.
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby ken » Mon May 31, 2010 11:27 am

I have made it to Portsmouth.

A couple weeks ago I experienced the rare combination of no wind, slack to incoming tide, and an empty "do list". I wanted to try the inlet, but the waves were toooooo big, so I conitiued over to Portmouth. The seas wouldn't have been a problem in a boat, but perspective is different when your butt is at sea level and you can't see anything but water when you in a trough!

I mostly fished Wallace Channel there. I'd like to work the shallows behind the island, but I was at the ocean end and of the island so I stayed on the outside of Wallace. Caught some nice blues there on bait and trollling. Came back across the shallows at Hog Shoal and fished some of my near Ocracoke stand-bys.

It was a great day! Out in the yak for 7 hours. Paddled in the middle of 2 different pods of dolphins. Watched an osprey feed her young in a nest on top of an abandoned day marker. Was in the middle of a school of rays--all red and like being on a flying carpet. Caught a few fish, too. Lots of short gray trout in Teach's Hole on the way home. My GPS said I covered 15 miles!

There is a service here that ferries folks to Portsmouth for walking tours and another for ATV tours. They will carry kayaks over and pick you up. I have never used them for yaks, but it would take a lot of worry and pressure off. It is a long way and it is some big water! If wind comes up or on the wrong tide, kayaking would stop being fun ans start being about survival. Again hard to do long term planning, but definitely easier in the summer and fall when the winds aren't as strong and less likely to be from the west.

There is a big shoal inside the inlet (Hog Shoal) with great edges. There have been guys in other years who would boat or yak out the shallow and wade and sight cast shrimp to pompanos in the shallows. As close as you can get to bonefishing in Hyde County. It is a mid summer activity. I haven't had any success with that either but have had great fun not catching anything.

I'd be glad to share info about the route over even if I can't go with you. In exchange you'll have to show me how to catch saltwater fish on flies ;)

ken

Postby Siessmack » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:03 pm

Ken where do you live on Ocracoke? Been going there my entire life for family vacations during the summers. We stay down past the British Cemetery. I wasn't able to make it down last summer, but hopefully will this October with my yak.

Postby ken » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:04 am

I live on the little road that goes from Styron's Store to the harbor.
When are you going to be here in October?

Return to Outer Banks