Moderator Control Panel ]

questions, questions, questions

Fly fishing the Outer Banks of North Carolina

questions, questions, questions

Postby chessieman » Fri May 01, 2009 11:54 am

Guys
finally got back on site! going to hatteras for week during third week of may. I am like a bull in the china shop right now trying to study maps and read as many reports as possible. Taking my 20ft duck/ flats boat down to fish. I heard its too early for Cobia, but thinking of one day chumming over wreck with fly rod to see what things we draw up from below. I have looked but concern about running too far offshore to find a wreck, is there ones that are closer like 5-8 miles away from Hatteras inlet? Another question, we have rented a house on the sound in frisco, I know the puppies are arriving now. Do I want to fish the flats or do i fish the channels near the flats this time of year for puppies, trout and flounder? Any advice would be great, thanks
chessieman

Re: questions, questions, questions

Postby kendalloz » Sun May 17, 2009 6:50 pm

I don't think I'd try the duck/flats boat on the wrecks. Check in the local tackle shops and buy something then ask where to fish in the sounds. They'll tell you where the bite is.

Postby hh65cdr » Sun May 17, 2009 9:50 pm

The cobia are showing up from what I hear. The time that your coming is going to have bigger waves in the ocean use caution. Good luck!
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby Dpost2 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:00 am

There are a couple of artificial reefs a short distance outside the inlet that are marked (or used to be) and that sometimes hold cobia. Check the North Carolina web site for artificial reefs. These would be accessable in your boat on a very nice day. There are also lots of cobia inside the inlet. Check you charts for deep holes and channels. Also look for groups of other boats because some cobia areas area well known and attract small crowds. Then anchor up and start chumming. You never know what will turn up.

Postby chessieman » Wed May 20, 2009 11:47 am

thanks guys,
will try chumming today maybe! went this morning throwing jigs in the shallows but real real dirty. Looking forward for the next couple days when wind falls off.
chessieman

Return to Outer Banks