Moderator Control Panel ]

newbie to OBX fly fishing

Fly fishing the Outer Banks of North Carolina

newbie to OBX fly fishing

Postby wtcorbett » Tue May 18, 2010 11:59 pm

Im heading to Avon next week (May 22 - 29). I have fished the outer banks plenty of times and am somewhat familiar with the islands but I this will be the first time I will be attempting to fly fish here. I got a new 6wt rod for bass fishing earlier this year and when I asked some local guides if I could survive with this size rod they claimed I would be ok. Obviously I am not going to attempt to rope in any monsters but I am curious if anyone has any thoughts on this.... Also, all i am really looking to catch is sea trout. I am debating on renting a kayak because wading just seems a little ridiculous. I allegedly have all the right flies but I just need a little "local" flavor to send me in the right direction. Any tips? Thoughts? Etc?

Re: newbie to OBX fly fishing

Postby BionicSenior » Wed May 19, 2010 8:43 am

:D~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<'(((((><

Postby wtcorbett » Wed May 19, 2010 8:49 am

I did read that post and it was very useful. I am just trying to gather as much info as I can before setting sail! Thanks!

Postby mb82 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:15 am

The 6wt is fine. Heck last year I brought 5 flyrods with me when I went down and only lined up my 6 the entire week.
The locals can help more with were to go since I have not been down in too long.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby wtcorbett » Wed May 19, 2010 9:25 am

Thanks a lot man! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Appreciate the feedback!

Postby hh65cdr » Wed May 19, 2010 11:30 am

Wading is some peoples only means to flyfish down here and and can be very good at times so I would not throw that option out just yet. A kayak is the better way to go if you cant get a half day with Brian or Sarah. Alot of people use 6wts here to catch trout. New Inlet is a great place to kayak if you dont want to get into boating traffic. Its just a few miles south of the OI bridge. Look for an old broken down wooden bridge on the right side if headed south. Another good spot is launching behind the bodie Island light house. If you are looking to stay south you might try the canadian hole. Its on the right just as you role into buxton. Good luck.
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Return to Outer Banks