Moderator Control Panel ]

slide show form Guatemala--

Fishing Reports from Captain Brian Horsley and Captain Sarah Gardner

Re: slide show form Guatemala--

Postby BlueHeron » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:10 am

As an observing neophyte with only one trip to CR, one to Guatemala under the belt, I was schooled that they used different flies (Cam Sigler rather thatn poppers) and different hook set (No hand on line, carefully set drag on reel and straght pull) in guatemala - and therefore had better hookups. (SO I too left a lot of poppers at home).
As Brain said, our mate loooked at the "curious" popppers and like em and tried them. with HIS hooksets (7/0 ?). Worked fine.
Possible Conclusion: the hook setting technique may be the bigger factor in the better hookup rate, rather than the fly itself.
BUT - true to the scientific method - this theory needs a LOT more testing, and I volunteer to participate - may it please take many years of research in many lovely tropical and exotic locales! :lol:

BY the way - excellent schooling for me on this trip: My experienced co-anglers(yes, including E), Jake Jordan, Brian, and Captain Mike Sheeder all were excellent instructors. thanks to all.
Dave
the bus came by and I got on
that's when it all began

Postby Todd » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:21 am

Dave-I really liked Jake's method for setting the hook. Is that what you used?

Postby Keysjake » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:28 am

You are correct Brian;
The reason that I recomend Cam Sigler flies is that with tens of thousands of Billfish caught on fly in Guatemala we have tried almost every concievable fly, line, leader, hook set, hooks, etc, and the CS flies using 5/0 or 6/0 hooks have by far the best catch to bite ratio. Now I can tell you from experience that teasing the fish properly is much more important than any of the above. I have caught more than a dozen sailfish by pushing a rigging needle through a cigar, pulling a bite tippet through with a hook on the back and then tying it to a class tippet. after rigging the cigar we would tease up a sailfish and then I would cast my Cigar (fly) and catch a sailfish on a brown cigar (fly)!

Of course anyone who brings flies to Casa Vieja Lodge and shows them to the mates will be incouraged to use their own flys, Casa Vieja Lodge is the largest purchaser of Cam Sigler flies in the world, they are supplied at no cost to anglers (students). There is no doubt that the CS head works much better than other popper heads in Guatemala when it comes to converting bites to caught fish at the lodge or at Fins N Feathers for the previous 13 years before Casa Vieja Lodge was built. I hope this clears up the reason why Casa Vieja Lodge supplies flies to all anglers who fish here at no extra cost. When teased correctly they will eat almost anything, however Pink looks better than Brown (Cigar) in pictures.
Jake

Captain Jake Jordan

Postby BlueHeron » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:49 am

Todd - Yes IT worked on my first fish the first day - never went "back"

Jake - again thanks for your instruction - you not only told us "here's how we do it and it works" but you explained the logic behind it. Much easier to retain that way.
The whole process is a complex dance between captain, mates, boat and angler. You, Brian, Mike - all told us how that dance would play out - made it better once the music started. (but not without some missteps or "learning experiences" - as brian nicely labeled my fish lost to a tip wrap, for example)
The captain and mates were truely amazing. To me watching them do their work was a great part of the experience. Watching them alter their "steps" in the dance in response to an angler "misstep" to make it work out well was very cool. It worked out well a LOT
I came home in awe.
Dave
the bus came by and I got on
that's when it all began

Postby bhorsley » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:07 am

Thanks Jake--the only thing about this thread is i am "home sick" for Casa Vieja. Stay tuned will start working on next years
trips soon.

Malcom hey man hope all is well with you and the family. We moved up to 2-D300s and have the D200 in reserve. As good as the D200s are the D300 is light years ahead. Hope to see you at the Cape this fall
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby MalcolmRobertson » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:26 am

bhorsley wrote:Malcom hey man hope all is well with you and the family. We moved up to 2-D300s and have the D200 in reserve. As good as the D200s are the D300 is light years ahead. Hope to see you at the Cape this fall

Family is doing great. New baby and remodeling a house took it's toll on the fishing last year. Hoping to rectify that situation a bit this year. I upgraded to a D200 last year--not happy with the noise at higher ISO's though.

MR

Postby bhorsley » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:36 am

Glad the family is doing well--there will always be fishing.
Yep the noise of the D200 bothered me.
With Billfish i set the 300s at iso 400 and F8 and let it eat--a Pat Ford tip.
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby KnotCase » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:54 am

Brian, have you spent any time fantasizing about the D700?
"You may attend a party where strange customs prevail."
- Fortune Cookie

Postby Emerson » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:25 pm

As to the poppers....Mainly just busting material on Brian for our mess-ups. Like I said..we had fish come in..just not go out the way we would have liked them to be..hooked!!!

The way that Jake explained everything to us was great. Jake's methods are tons better than what we had done in the past. This method is not only good for sails but can be extended to lots of other fishing applications.

I told Brain this.....I watched a show on Versus fishing at Casa Viejo...the person fishing said that the key to success here was the entire team!!! The Capt and especially the mates. The way they tease the fish....that is the key to success....for the hook up...then the Capt takes over but.... It was so neat to be in the 2nd best seat in watching Danny get his marlin. You had 2 mates guiding and helping him throughout the entire 45 min to an hour ordeal. Danny would be the first to admit...without them...he might not have gotten the fish in... Being in the boat with the boat's ability to pivot and always being in line with the fish and of course, the Capt doing his operating..just amazing.

The first picture, our mate is just guiding Danny..turning him when need be..talking him through the catch. As the mate turned Danny,the Capt backed down the boat to keep the stern square with the fish.

In the second picture, the spool popped off...both mates worked feverishly to put the spool back.....TWICE!!

Also, I really liked having only 3 rods. We had one dedicated for marlin..big reel..big rod...big fly. We then had 2 for sails..in case of doubles...used it once for that. I

We had a mono line break. Our mate Ricardo tied on new mono...with all knots, the fly line, the leader...with all knots being made right on the spot...Total time..maybe 5 minutes. If only I had a video camera or could have thought that my camera can record some video....I would have done it..but I was just staring in awe... Of course...every knot was perfect and we were ready to use the new set up quickly. In the mean time, we used the other sailfish rod.

Bottom line...the fishing and knowledge on the boats was second to none! Cannot wait to return!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby bhorsley » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:01 pm

D700---yes i have but would rathe rhave an underwater housing for one of the 300s

you got me E :oops: :oops: :oops:

They are the best without the big heads
Pure-T-Mommicked

PreviousNext

Return to Flat Out and Fly Girl Reports