Moderator Control Panel ]

Blue Marlin on fly

Fishing Reports from Captain Brian Horsley and Captain Sarah Gardner

Blue Marlin on fly

Postby bhorsley » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:22 am

Sarah and I just return from an amazing adventure. We had a chance to fish the sea mounts off the Costa Rican for blue marlin on fly. We had to wait a couple of days for a weather window as the sea mounts are 140 plus miles off the beach. We had a planned on three days of fishing but only fished two days and avoided a large butt whipping on the way home.
Day one was raining and choppy for most of the day but as forecast the weather cleaned up. Sarah hooked 4 blue marlin and released 3 and a sailfish. She was using the new Sage Salt HD 1686, 9700 Mako reel and IGFA 20 pound tippet. W
Day two started at first light with a striped marlin release and shortly after that a she released a 250+ pound blue marlin. I took a turn and lost one , then she landed another blue marlin. I got lucky and caught two back to back. We ended the day with 7 blue marlin on 20 pound tippet releases and a striped marlin. Sarah released 5 on the second day plus a striped marlin and I had two releases. The trip total was 15 bites and 12 releases. We raised a lot more fish but could not switch them off to the fly.
Amazing adventure only made it better with getting to fish with our friends Capt. Chris Sheeter and his mate Nico and Genry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Return to Flat Out and Fly Girl Reports