Moderator Control Panel ]

VCFA Final Report

Fishing Reports from Captain Brian Horsley and Captain Sarah Gardner

VCFA Final Report

Postby fishermike » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:54 pm

Hi! This year was just fantastic, our best by far. :D We tried a number of new "tricks" and many of them worked, so I would like to share some of them with you in the hope that you will have as much luck with them as we did this year. The first one is a tactic that we have used when fishing for Mahi Mahi where we keep one hooked up next to the boat until someone hooks up again. We noticed that most of the albies we caught this year were accompanied by others when we boated them, so we tried it and it worked well. Many of you may have noticed our "little boat that could" the first week, a 14' semi-v with a 9.9 hp motor. They were trolling all over, but they used some new tricks. When they were in areas with breaking fish, they shortened their lines to just 30' so they were able to make a water haul and cast to breaking fish they came across. They also hooked up on the troll with this length out behind the boat. You also may have noticed our bigger boat out with a caster in the bow, and two trollers in back. We would go slow and allow the bowman to get some shots while the two back end trollers had a short line for a 30' water haul on the right and the other was out a long way. If we came upon breaking fish we had two shots at them, the bowman and the right hand water haul. We also paid a lot of attention to our depth finder and the albies were all over the place. If we saw them at 20' or less, we stopped and put out our lines and had a lot of hookups with no breaking fish at all. We would also stop and turn the motor off in these situations and drift and many times we would have hookups right under the boat with short lines. We also had good luck behind the trawlers, but we did not try to fight the crowd to get in close, but rather meandered our way behind the trawler with our caster and short and long trollers and had lots of hookups. Our 'little boat that could' also caught a lot of them trolling in areas where they had shown in the past, but were not breaking. Patterns seemed to hold for days with no wx changes in between, which gave us a great place to start each day. However, if you really want to improve your odds, hire a guide, and schedule your trip so you can fish with the guide the first day so you can take advantage of their knowledge for the rest of the trip. It is well worth the expense, and if you split the cost, it really isn't all that much when you consider that you have taken time for the trip, probably rented a motel room, along with travel costs. Why not double or triple your odds by going out with a guide. They have an extensive network of other guides and they all share info each day so when one of them runs into the albies they all know where and what is going on to put you on fish. Now back to the numbers, we hooked 419 and landed 287, both well above our previous bests. We also had the usual broken rods, 5 of them, broken lines, 6 of them, lines in the motor, once, broken tippets, too many to count, bent and broken hooks, again too many to count, fishing stories, again too many to count. We will be talking about this year for many years to come. If you haven't done so, I would urge you to get with your buddies and plan a trip. It looks like this season will extend well into Dec. Last year they were catching them on Dec 15 and that could be the case again. Brian and Sarah have openings after Nov 15, give them a call and improve your odds, plus have a great time. Next year we will be down again for the last couple of weeks in Oct and the first week in Nov. and I hope to see you all again next year all bowed up with a grin on your face! Thanks again for helping to make this year special and tight lines to all, mike buss :D :D

Re: VCFA Final Report

Postby Landlocked » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:13 am

I've really enjoyed your reports! You sound about as excited as I I'm when talking about this fishery.
By the way are you or any of your housemates accountants :D.

Postby fishermike » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:06 pm

Hi! Yes, one of the guys who stays at the house is an accountant.

Postby wenzer » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:36 am

Hi Mike,

Glad you guys had an awesome year!! Thank you very much for the informative, daily reports you post. It's very helpful when trying to plan a trip coming down from CT. Pete and I were down there 10/31-11/3 and were able to catch 15 from the shore and Pete also got one in his kayak. Take care, Robert.

Return to Flat Out and Fly Girl Reports