Moderator Control Panel ]

VCFA House Report #4

Fishing Reports from Captain Brian Horsley and Captain Sarah Gardner

VCFA House Report #4

Postby fishermike » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:28 pm

Hi! Great action again today as we had three boats out today. :D One of them hooked 11 and landed 7, one of them hooked 7 and landed 5, and that little 14' boat with the 9.9 motor some of you may have seen motoring all over the place was 8 for 8 giving us 26 hooked and 20 landed bringing the house total to 72 hooked and 44 landed in 5 days of fishing. :D We caught them casting, dredging and trolling with most of the action fairly close to the #2 marker although we did catch a couple behind a trawler off the gun mounts, and some off of Shackleford Is. There were a lot of fish down deep 30-35' around the #2 marker and these fell for our dredgers. There were a lot of fish all around and our trollers, picked up some of these, plus our casters got some great shots at the fish splashing on the surface. Just because you don't see fish breaking, don't assume they aren't around, watch your depth finder, it will paint a much more accurate picture of what is going on than running around looking for birds. Hopefully this south wind will peter out tonite and we have good conditions for tomorrow and we hope to see you all on the water and, more importantly, bowed up! We have a mess of trout we plan to cook up tomorrow, so if you are in the area, stop by the house to share some stories and some trout fillets! Thanks and tight lines, mike buss

Re: VCFA House Report #4

Postby Mkirkby » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:46 pm

What are they hitting, Mike? Coming down to the house early Friday morning and need to get in on the action!

Postby surfbum » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:08 pm

Glad to see you guys are getting some great action. Hoping to get back on them late this week or into next week after cold front settles out. Tight lines...

Postby sjsapo » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:50 pm

I'm confused (as usual). My boat hooked four and landed two (albeit, I had to quit at 1:30).

Who caught the trout? And how many?

Postby fishermike » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:34 pm

Hi! John got two with you and then two on our boat. I just lumped them together. We got the trout from someone who had come in and had a full frig so they asked us if we wanted some of them. Dumb question! tight lines, mike

Postby fishermike » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:38 pm

Hi! They have been hitting a variety of flies , but most popular have been clousers on #1 hooks with blue over pink over chartreuse. Most of the successful flies have had some pink. Hope this helps, tight lines, mike

Return to Flat Out and Fly Girl Reports